Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Software > Giving Windows Vista Beta 2 a trial run...

Giving Windows Vista Beta 2 a trial run...

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

I've decided that it's time to try Windows Vista Beta 2. I downloaded the beta release last week, got my activation code, and it's presently installing on a new hard drive. I removed the old hard drive to preserve my system in the old Maximum PC Rig of the Month February 2005 "Printer-to-Computer", so I can go back to Windows XP if this little adventure doesn't work out.

I'll post here any glitches or issues that come up. Wish me luck. It's at 17% in copying Windows files right now. I hope this doesn't take all day....

Last edited by bigal; 06-25-2006 at 03:53 PM..

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Hey, the install finished up in under an hour. Not too bad. I have a bunch of unknown devices to sort out, but I did enable my wireless USB device so I can connect to the Internet. So far, so good.

Update: It didn't take long to get a blue screen and crash! I was using Windows Explorer. Just configuring this stinking file explorer to look better, show more details on files, etc. Figures it would crash. At least the system rebooted ok.

Last edited by bigal; 06-25-2006 at 05:52 PM..

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

Lol under an hour... did that include the windows install

I honestly dont like the Vista Beta 2. yer it runs dam fast without driver (whoopty do, most ppl will have drivers)

I just dont like some of the new interfaces...

But it does look like a windows version of mac!

Al, dont bother looking for Drivers for devices, cause they just wont be there. Its beta so they dont have to have drivers, just quick companies like nVidia, ATi and that have released Drivers