Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > DS3 M13 framing vs. M23 framing

DS3 M13 framing vs. M23 framing

Joe McGuckin

Cisco's PA-MC-T3 card supports c-bit and m23 framing. Other vendors
support c-bit and m13
framing.

Is Cisco's M23 framing the same as or interoperable with m13 framing
from another router vendor (Juniper, for example).

Thanks,

Joe

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Joe McGuckin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Cisco's PA-MC-T3 card supports c-bit and m23 framing. Other vendors
:support c-bit and m13
:framing.

:Is Cisco's M23 framing the same as or interoperable with m13 framing
:from another router vendor (Juniper, for example).

I know next to nothing about DS3, but I just did some checking around
and realized that the answer must be NO.

If you examine the T3 Fundamentals description at
http://www.quickeagle.com/PDF/Services/t3fund.pdf
then you will see that M13 multiplexes directly from T1 to T3,
and M23 multiplexes from T2 to T3. Notice that M23 starts with T2,
not with T1. There is also a two-stage M12 M23 (T1 to T2, T2 to T3)
process that starts with T1 and ends with T3, but I get the impression
that perhaps the result is not the same as M13 [e.g., perhaps you
end up with different bit stuffing or something like that.]
--
Before responding, take into account the possibility that the Universe
was created just an instant ago, and that you have not actually read