Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Redundancy across FE ports 7204vxr

Redundancy across FE ports 7204vxr

Todd Carew

I have a cisco 7204 vxr now and I want to do some configuration on it.
but I dont know enough of the cisco IOS to know what to search for
here is my set up

1 DS3 serialized interface
2 Fast ethernet (FE) interfaces labled 0 and 1
1 dual t1 pri interface labled 0 and 1

Main bandwith will come in on the DS3 interface
and go out thru FE0
into a bandwith shaper/limiter
and then into an intel switch

thats the perfect everythign runnign solution

I need 2 different "failover" solutions though.. seperatly function
from each other

One is if the DS3 goes down then it switches over to the t1
interface.. thats pretty straighforward I can probably have someone do
that with BGP for me

My big issue is if the bandwith shaper goes down or stops responding,
then I want the traffic to get routed to interface FE1 instead,
bypassing the FE0/bandwith shaper route and
plug directly into the intel switch (for now..eventally I wll set up a
fail over switch for that as well)

I dont know how that failover is programmed in the FE interfaces and
dont know what its called to research it.

can anyone give me either sample configs or some keywords to do the
searcing on?

Todd Carew

Is there no help for me??? lol no one even gave me any suggestions

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Todd Carew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Is there no help for me??? lol no one even gave me any suggestions

It's only been about 13 hours, and most of that was during the time
that most people in North America are sleeping.

--
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."
-- not Twain, perhaps Disraeli, first quoted by Leonard Courtney

Todd Carew

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Todd Carew) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> I have a cisco 7204 vxr now and I want to do some configuration on it.
> but I dont know enough of the cisco IOS to know what to search for
> here is my set up
>

> 1 DS3 serialized interface
> 2 Fast ethernet (FE) interfaces labled 0 and 1
> 1 dual t1 pri interface labled 0 and 1
>

> Main bandwith will come in on the DS3 interface
> and go out thru FE0
> into a bandwith shaper/limiter
> and then into an intel switch
>
> thats the perfect everythign runnign solution
>
> I need 2 different "failover" solutions though.. seperatly function
> from each other
>
> One is if the DS3 goes down then it switches over to the t1
> interface.. thats pretty straighforward I can probably have someone do
> that with BGP for me
>
> My big issue is if the bandwith shaper goes down or stops responding,
> then I want the traffic to get routed to interface FE1 instead,
> bypassing the FE0/bandwith shaper route and
> plug directly into the intel switch (for now..eventally I wll set up a
> fail over switch for that as well)
>
> I dont know how that failover is programmed in the FE interfaces and
> dont know what its called to research it.
>
> can anyone give me either sample configs or some keywords to do the
> searcing on?

is there any suggestions at all?

Bob Watson

Todd Carew wrote:

> Is there no help for me??? lol no one even gave me any suggestions

Couple things if you are using the same ISP(Assuming Internet with
mention of BGP) for the ds3 and t1 link to the internet you should have
them route the same lan block over both links in the event the ds3 fails
the tertiary route will kick in on the ISP end and forward traffic over
the T1. You can do this on your end with a wieghted static. Don't mess
with BGP unless you are using dual ISP redundancy or are a mini Service
provider yourself.

2nd for backing up the Fastethernet use HSRP between the 2 interfaces.
Idealy this would span 2 different routers.

This is a Pub zone so Ideally you should run
1 rtr w/ds3 and Fast E to a cisco switch clustered to another one.
2 rtr w/t1 and fast e to a secondary switch in the cluster

Pair of FW's either Cisco/Checkpoint or Netscreen
With uplink on each switch and run the fw's in failover mode.

run VRRP or statefull Failover on the FW'S
Run HSRP between the ethernet and weight your DG for ds3 redundancy.

This solution provides hardware, cable, and circuit redundancy each step
of the way.

Bob Watson
SBC Datacomm

PA-GE in 7204VXR Ein User Cisco 3 03-20-2007 07:08 PM
7204VXR crash Davide Cisco 5 01-27-2005 05:48 PM
7204VXR or 7301 as LNS Aaron W Cisco 7 07-13-2004 09:42 AM
Field Notice: New 7204VXR and 7206VXR Chassis Are Incompatible With Older PA-8B-S/T Christian Schuetz Cisco 0 07-10-2004 07:17 PM
7204VxR and 12.3 IOS ZeroKool Cisco 0 11-04-2003 05:22 AM

Advertisments