Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > pix 501 switch cant see netbios

pix 501 switch cant see netbios

joe

Hello I am starting to think that there is some setting on my pix 501
that blocks netbios in the switch. I cant think of this being possible
but it is starting to make sense. I have 3 pcs
1 w2k pro 1 winXP pro and one W2K3 server in a workgroup. They are all
in the same workgroup allthough the winxp and w2k3 have 2ips. I am
able to rdeskop and even call the share with \\ipaddress but no
\\computername, i cant see them in the workgroup either. they all
belong to the same workigroup. May be I need wins, I tried lmhost
static on the w2k pro but no luck. Any ideas?. Thanks

Jonathan Roberts

"joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello I am starting to think that there is some setting on my pix 501
> that blocks netbios in the switch. I cant think of this being possible
> but it is starting to make sense. I have 3 pcs
> 1 w2k pro 1 winXP pro and one W2K3 server in a workgroup. They are all
> in the same workgroup allthough the winxp and w2k3 have 2ips. I am
> able to rdeskop and even call the share with \\ipaddress but no
> \\computername, i cant see them in the workgroup either. they all
> belong to the same workigroup. May be I need wins, I tried lmhost
> static on the w2k pro but no luck. Any ideas?. Thanks

Is this under a VPN setup or just a LAN environment with a PIX for Internet
firewalling?

joe

It is just a lan, all pcs plug to the pix, I will try a hub to check if
it makes any difference

Gary

joe wrote:

> Hello I am starting to think that there is some setting on my pix 501
> that blocks netbios in the switch. I cant think of this being possible

Have you tried turning off the netbios fixup protocol?

-Gary