Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot Access file on another PC in my Local Area Network

Cannot Access file on another PC in my Local Area Network

dee

Hi
I made a shared folder on my Win XP Pro SP2 machine. I can see the folder
from my Win XP SP2 but I get a "Access denied" message saying I might not
have permission to access the folder.
I have set Full control permission to Everyone on the sharing machine.
Any ideas why?
Thanks
Dee

Malke

dee wrote:

> Hi
> I made a shared folder on my Win XP Pro SP2 machine. I can see the
> folder from my Win XP SP2 but I get a "Access denied" message saying I
> might not have permission to access the folder.
> I have set Full control permission to Everyone on the sharing machine.
> Any ideas why?
> Thanks
> Dee

This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
substitute your correct subnet.

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
matters in your situation.

Shared Documents folder.

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers