Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 525 and PDM

Cisco 525 and PDM

Sako

Hi gents, I've always managed little cisco pixes and now i have to
manage a 525.
First of all I noticed that telnet was the way to connect, I used
to connect with ssh.
Is there any advantage or problem to change this ? I feel more
secure with ssh

I also noticed PDM isn't enabled, I know it's for security issues,
but it would help for disabling access-lists easier . Is there any
disadvantage enabling the pdm in the 525?

what lines are necessary to configure pdm access ?
is this enough?

http server enable
http 172.16.0.0 255.255.0.0 inside

Hope you can help me thanks in advance.

Gary

Sako wrote:

> I also noticed PDM isn't enabled, I know it's for security issues,
> but it would help for disabling access-lists easier . Is there any
> disadvantage enabling the pdm in the 525?

Are you sure you're using a 525 and not a 520? If you have a 520, you
might have a 2mb flash card that won't hold the PDM images. Try running
'show version' and see what it says. If it reads something like 'Flash
E28F128J3 @ 0xfff00000, 16MB' then you've enough room to install it. You
can 'ls flash:' to see what files are there currently. You may also be
running a pre-PDM version of Finesse. Posting some more details will help
us to better help you with your issue.

-Gary

Sako

It's a 525 for sure, I think that it doesn't have pdm and ssh active.

Hardware: PIX-525, 256 MB RAM, CPU Pentium III 600 MHz
Flash E28F128J3 @ 0x300, 16MB
BIOS Flash AM29F400B @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB

Is it possible pdm ?

Gary ha escrito:

> Sako wrote:
>
> > I also noticed PDM isn't enabled, I know it's for security issues,
> > but it would help for disabling access-lists easier . Is there any
> > disadvantage enabling the pdm in the 525?

> Are you sure you're using a 525 and not a 520? If you have a 520, you
> might have a 2mb flash card that won't hold the PDM images. Try running
> 'show version' and see what it says. If it reads something like 'Flash
> E28F128J3 @ 0xfff00000, 16MB' then you've enough room to install it. You
> can 'ls flash:' to see what files are there currently. You may also be
> running a pre-PDM version of Finesse. Posting some more details will help
> us to better help you with your issue.
>
> -Gary

keshav keshav is offline
Junior Member

To connect using SSH or PDM , you need to generate RSA keys in pix and this is much secure than using telnet.

ca zeroize rsa
ca generate rsa key 1024
ca save all

wr mem

and then enable http server and ssh access

http server enable
http 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.255 inside
ssh 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.255 inside

wr mem

For generating RSA keys , your pix sould be licensed to support either DES or 3DES.