Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Is AxKit dead?

Is AxKit dead?

jonathan@hipkiss.org

Is AxKit still alive or is all the sensible money on Cocoon?

Jonathan

Joe Kesselman

> Is AxKit still alive or is all the sensible money on Cocoon?

I've never heard of AxKit, for whatever that's worth.

Nick Kew

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Is AxKit still alive

What does the site tell you?

> or is all the sensible money on Cocoon?

Nope. Since Apache 2, we have extensive XML capabilities
available as built into the server.

--
Nick Kew

Joe Kesselman

AxKit is one of the remaining sub-projects of the Apache XML project --
see http://xml.apache.org/. Interestingly, AxKit retains its own domain
(http://axkit.org) rather than having been brought onto Apache's own
servers.

One way to tell whether it's alive is to check what's happening on the
bug list. The last entry in the resolved-bugs list is a year old. Given
that there are more recent bug report than that, this is not encouraging.

Suggestion: Hit AxKit's own mailing list and/or IRC and ask them what
they think its status is...?

jonathan@hipkiss.org

Joe Kesselman wrote:
> AxKit is one of the remaining sub-projects of the Apache XML project --
> see http://xml.apache.org/. Interestingly, AxKit retains its own domain
> (http://axkit.org) rather than having been brought onto Apache's own
> servers.
>
> One way to tell whether it's alive is to check what's happening on the
> bug list. The last entry in the resolved-bugs list is a year old. Given
> that there are more recent bug report than that, this is not encouraging.
>
> Suggestion: Hit AxKit's own mailing list and/or IRC and ask them what
> they think its status is...?

Thanks for that, I had noted these points already.

There is very little activity in the newsgroups and Matt Sergeant
hasn't posted on this topic in the newsgroups for ages.

My question was not what is Axkit's official state was but which
solution was better to commit ones organisation to, going forward,
Axkit or Cocoon. My feel is Cocoon unless anyone knows any other
better options?

Jonathan

p.s. I'll be putting this question to ApacheCon in Dublin later this
month, I'll see what they say.

Nick Kew

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> p.s. I'll be putting this question to ApacheCon in Dublin later this
> month, I'll see what they say.

http://www.eu.apachecon.com/konferen...sessionid=3322
(the main focus is markup transformation)

--
Nick Kew

Joe Kesselman

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My question was not what is Axkit's official state was but which
> solution was better to commit ones organisation to, going forward,
> Axkit or Cocoon. My feel is Cocoon unless anyone knows any other
> better options?

The fact that you're having trouble finding out anything about AxKit's
state strikes me as sufficient reason to believe you may have trouble
getting support for it. Cocoon's got an active community. That would be
sufficient reason for me; your milage may vary.

Peter Flynn

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Joe Kesselman wrote:
>> AxKit is one of the remaining sub-projects of the Apache XML project --
>> see http://xml.apache.org/. Interestingly, AxKit retains its own domain
>> (http://axkit.org) rather than having been brought onto Apache's own
>> servers.
>>
>> One way to tell whether it's alive is to check what's happening on the
>> bug list. The last entry in the resolved-bugs list is a year old. Given
>> that there are more recent bug report than that, this is not encouraging.
>>
>> Suggestion: Hit AxKit's own mailing list and/or IRC and ask them what
>> they think its status is...?

> Thanks for that, I had noted these points already.
>
> There is very little activity in the newsgroups and Matt Sergeant
> hasn't posted on this topic in the newsgroups for ages.
>
> My question was not what is Axkit's official state was but which
> solution was better to commit ones organisation to, going forward,
> Axkit or Cocoon. My feel is Cocoon unless anyone knows any other
> better options?

Last time I checked AxKit had problems compiling under anything later
than RH7 because they didn't have access to a system running FC. I
did actually get it working once, but the Perl dependencies are the
usual nightmare.

Cocoon is heavily supported, and seems to work out of the box. You
will, however, need some serious memory and CPU for Cocoon.

> p.s. I'll be putting this question to ApacheCon in Dublin later this
> month, I'll see what they say.

Maybe see you there.

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

jonathan

These are all good points that you've raised and it was exactly the
sort of conversation I was trying to start. To take it a little
further, we're basically after something that will handle multiple
transformations on an xml source for various purposes, caching where
appropriate to save bandwidth and processor cycles.

AxKit pretty well gave us what we wanted but we fear it's not going to
be well supported, Cocoon offers better levels of support but maybe to
big for what we need, we don't want a CMS and we aren't currently using
Tomcat/Java solutions, we predominately use Perl and Apache.

Any other options out there that you know of, I'll certainly attend the
"Content Transformation with Apache: Filters and Proxies" at ApacheCon.

May see some of you there.

Jonathan

Peter Flynn

jonathan wrote:
> These are all good points that you've raised and it was exactly the
> sort of conversation I was trying to start. To take it a little
> further, we're basically after something that will handle multiple
> transformations on an xml source for various purposes, caching where
> appropriate to save bandwidth and processor cycles.
>
> AxKit pretty well gave us what we wanted but we fear it's not going to
> be well supported, Cocoon offers better levels of support but maybe to
> big for what we need, we don't want a CMS and we aren't currently using
> Tomcat/Java solutions, we predominately use Perl and Apache.

Well Tomcat is part of Apache, and I wouldn't shed any tears at giving
up on Perl, myself My concern about AxKit was that it was a bit
lightweight for large-scale implementations. Cocoon doesn't have to be
big -- you can cut swathes of crud out of the sitemap.xmap which is only
there as examples, and define an application to tie it down tight. And
if you're not going to be reprogramming Cocoon, you don't need to know
any Java, just XML and XSLT. Cocoon itself isn't a CMS, although there
are several built using it.

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/