Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Stuck configuring 350 Wireless Bridge

Stuck configuring 350 Wireless Bridge

MatGyver

I'm trying to configure a brand-new out of the box cisco aironet 350
wireless bridge. The bridge got an IP address via DHCP when I started
it up, but now it is stuck and just repeats: Getting configuration
parameters via DHCP over device "fec0"...

It repeated that about 50 times before I restarted the bridge, it's
still doing it after the restart.

I can't telnet into it, I can't http into it to reset the device.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Cisco_Kid

Hi MatGyver,
Under "setup" then under "express setup" you will see an option for
"configuration server protocol". By default this is set for "DHCP". I would
start by setting that to "None". Then you should be able to assign it an IP
address (also in express setup) manually. After that is done you should be
able to web browse to the unit (the command line interface just sucks) and
make all of the necessary changes. If you want to keep DHCP assignment to
this unit you can change it back to DHCP but do it as your last step. Also,
There is a setting under "ethernet hardware" in the "setup" screen that is
usually set to "switch to repeater mode" by default. I would change that to
"no action". The 350s have all sorts of strange quirks like the one you
described. You may want to check to see if you're running the latest and
greatest firmaware version and upgrade it if possible.

Good luck!

-Cisco Kid

"MatGyver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm trying to configure a brand-new out of the box cisco aironet 350
> wireless bridge. The bridge got an IP address via DHCP when I started
> it up, but now it is stuck and just repeats: Getting configuration
> parameters via DHCP over device "fec0"...
>
> It repeated that about 50 times before I restarted the bridge, it's
> still doing it after the restart.
>
> I can't telnet into it, I can't http into it to reset the device.
>
> Anybody have any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance!

MatGyver

Hey Cisco Kid,

Thanks for the response, the problem I'm still having before I can try
your suggestions is that I never get to the setup screen.

I'm following the directions in the documentation for telnet
connections, http, ethernet, serial port, everything written in the
book and I still can't get anywhere to any type of setup or
configuration screen.

Is there a step somewhere along the line I'm missing? It's probably
something simple and stupid on my part but any guidence would be
appreciated.

Thanks again!

"Cisco_Kid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bnm41n$hij$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi MatGyver,
> Under "setup" then under "express setup" you will see an option for
> "configuration server protocol". By default this is set for "DHCP". I would
> start by setting that to "None". Then you should be able to assign it an IP
> address (also in express setup) manually. After that is done you should be
> able to web browse to the unit (the command line interface just sucks) and
> make all of the necessary changes. If you want to keep DHCP assignment to
> this unit you can change it back to DHCP but do it as your last step. Also,
> There is a setting under "ethernet hardware" in the "setup" screen that is
> usually set to "switch to repeater mode" by default. I would change that to
> "no action". The 350s have all sorts of strange quirks like the one you
> described. You may want to check to see if you're running the latest and
> greatest firmaware version and upgrade it if possible.
>

> Good luck!
>
> -Cisco Kid
>

> "MatGyver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I'm trying to configure a brand-new out of the box cisco aironet 350
> > wireless bridge. The bridge got an IP address via DHCP when I started
> > it up, but now it is stuck and just repeats: Getting configuration
> > parameters via DHCP over device "fec0"...
> >
> > It repeated that about 50 times before I restarted the bridge, it's
> > still doing it after the restart.
> >
> > I can't telnet into it, I can't http into it to reset the device.
> >
> > Anybody have any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

Mike P

Hvae you tried pulling it off the network and just booting it with the
serial cable plugged in. It should time out after trying to contact
the DHCP server. I have had 350 APs that I couldn't get in to
configure work like that. If that doesn't work you may want to try
using the manual reset on the bridge, and make sure that the DHCP
server is functioning properly and not possibly handing out duplicate
addresses, or the device name is duplicated with another host on the
network.
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (MatGyver) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hey Cisco Kid,
>
> Thanks for the response, the problem I'm still having before I can try
> your suggestions is that I never get to the setup screen.
>
> I'm following the directions in the documentation for telnet
> connections, http, ethernet, serial port, everything written in the
> book and I still can't get anywhere to any type of setup or
> configuration screen.
>
> Is there a step somewhere along the line I'm missing? It's probably
> something simple and stupid on my part but any guidence would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> "Cisco_Kid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bnm41n$hij$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Hi MatGyver,
> > Under "setup" then under "express setup" you will see an option for
> > "configuration server protocol". By default this is set for "DHCP". I would
> > start by setting that to "None". Then you should be able to assign it an IP
> > address (also in express setup) manually. After that is done you should be
> > able to web browse to the unit (the command line interface just sucks) and
> > make all of the necessary changes. If you want to keep DHCP assignment to
> > this unit you can change it back to DHCP but do it as your last step. Also,
> > There is a setting under "ethernet hardware" in the "setup" screen that is
> > usually set to "switch to repeater mode" by default. I would change that to
> > "no action". The 350s have all sorts of strange quirks like the one you
> > described. You may want to check to see if you're running the latest and
> > greatest firmaware version and upgrade it if possible.
> >

> > Good luck!
> >
> > -Cisco Kid
> >

> > "MatGyver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > I'm trying to configure a brand-new out of the box cisco aironet 350
> > > wireless bridge. The bridge got an IP address via DHCP when I started
> > > it up, but now it is stuck and just repeats: Getting configuration
> > > parameters via DHCP over device "fec0"...
> > >
> > > It repeated that about 50 times before I restarted the bridge, it's
> > > still doing it after the restart.
> > >
> > > I can't telnet into it, I can't http into it to reset the device.
> > >
> > > Anybody have any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!

Gnome

On 28 Oct 2003 14:39:23 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (MatGyver) wrote:

>I'm following the directions in the documentation for telnet
>connections, http, ethernet, serial port, everything written in the
>book and I still can't get anywhere to any type of setup or
>configuration screen.

I think you have broken bridge, if I where you I would replace it.

______
Gnome
Veteran of the Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force 1976-1951

Pete Mainwaring

(E-Mail Removed) (MatGyver) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hey Cisco Kid,
>
> Thanks for the response, the problem I'm still having before I can try
> your suggestions is that I never get to the setup screen.
>
> I'm following the directions in the documentation for telnet
> connections, http, ethernet, serial port, everything written in the
> book and I still can't get anywhere to any type of setup or
> configuration screen.
>
> Is there a step somewhere along the line I'm missing? It's probably
> something simple and stupid on my part but any guidence would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> "Cisco_Kid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bnm41n$hij$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Hi MatGyver,
> > Under "setup" then under "express setup" you will see an option for
> > "configuration server protocol". By default this is set for "DHCP". I would
> > start by setting that to "None". Then you should be able to assign it an IP
> > address (also in express setup) manually. After that is done you should be
> > able to web browse to the unit (the command line interface just sucks) and
> > make all of the necessary changes. If you want to keep DHCP assignment to
> > this unit you can change it back to DHCP but do it as your last step. Also,
> > There is a setting under "ethernet hardware" in the "setup" screen that is
> > usually set to "switch to repeater mode" by default. I would change that to
> > "no action". The 350s have all sorts of strange quirks like the one you
> > described. You may want to check to see if you're running the latest and
> > greatest firmaware version and upgrade it if possible.
> >

> > Good luck!
> >
> > -Cisco Kid
> >

> > "MatGyver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > I'm trying to configure a brand-new out of the box cisco aironet 350
> > > wireless bridge. The bridge got an IP address via DHCP when I started
> > > it up, but now it is stuck and just repeats: Getting configuration
> > > parameters via DHCP over device "fec0"...
> > >
> > > It repeated that about 50 times before I restarted the bridge, it's
> > > still doing it after the restart.
> > >
> > > I can't telnet into it, I can't http into it to reset the device.
> > >
> > > Anybody have any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!

You will need a standard serial cable connected to the COM port on
your PC. Use something like Teraterm (or Hyperterm if you have to) to
start a console session with the 350. The configuration interface is
terrible to use I'm afraid, as it's simply a text representation of
the HTTP interface that you would normally use across the network.
(There are keys like ^B to go back for example).

Type :TOP to get to the top menu page

Type SETUP (you probably will only have to type SETU as it auto-fills
command as soon as the string is unique).

Type EX for Express Set-up
Type PR for Config.server protocol - set this to NONE to disable DHCP
Type AD for IP Address - enter address
Type SU for Subnet Mask - enter mask
Type G for default gateway - enter default gateway

As this point you should be able to use the HTTP interface to speak to
it. If the Express Setup screen disappears (which is extremely
likely!!) use ^R to refresh.

Good luck.

Pete

MatGyver

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

but once again, I've gotten nowhere. I'm starting to think it's user
error at this point.

I'm now using TeraTerm and connecting via the serial port. I've
disconnected the ethernet connection as suggested in a previous post.
Below is the last thing I see on the screen after I power up the
bridge. I've yet to get to a point where I can enter any commands to
reach the setup portion. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong at this
point. I now have 2 bridges with the same problem: One was shipped to
use about 7 months ago, one I just got this week so I'm ruling out
this new one as bad box (though I suppose they both could be bad).

All I'm trying to do at this point is change the IP address. If there
is a way to manually reset the box back to factory default, that would
be fine. I can turn off the DHCP service temporarily and use the IPSU
Cisco utility and reconfigure the boxes.

As always, thanks to all for your help!

[Clnts: 0] of 0 [Rptrs: 0] of 0 [Brdgs: 0] of 1 [APs]: 0

___________________________________
Events
Time Severity Description
00:01:39 (Warning): Lost Authentication with Parent
00:01:27 (Warning): Ethernet Link Lost. Attempting to re-establish
link to
primary network.
00:01:14 (Warning): No DHCPOFFER's received, restarting the
negotiation in the
background

___________________________________
Network Ports
===[Diagnostics]===
Device Status Mb/s IP Addr. MAC
Addr.
[Ethernet] No Link 0.0 10.100.100.39
000bbe566017
[Br Radio] No Link 11.0 10.100.100.39
000bbe566017

(Auto Apply Off) :BOttom, own, ^R, =, <ENTER>, or [Link Text]:
00:01:39 (Warning): Lost Authentication with Parent

Cisco_Kid

Try these instructions...Pay attention to step 5 (this could be your
problem)

Resetting to the Default Configuration
If you forget the password that allows you to configure the bridge you might
need to completely reset the configuration. Follow these steps to delete the
current configuration and return all settings to the factory defaults.

----
Note The following steps reset all configuration settings to factory
defaults, including passwords, WEP keys, the IP address, and the SSID. If
you do not need to reset the entire configuration, use the Configuration
Reset buttons on the System Configuration Setup page in the web-browser
interface. Consult the "Resetting the Configuration" section 10-11 for more
information on the reset buttons in the web-browser interface.

----

----
Step 1 Use a straight-through cable with 9-pin male to 9-pin female
connectors to connect the COM 1 or COM 2 port on your computer to the RS-232
port on the bridge.

Step 2 Open a terminal-emulation program on your computer.

----
Note These instructions describe HyperTeminal; other programs are
similar.

----

Step 3 In the Connection Description window, enter a name and select an
icon for the connection and click OK.

Step 4 In the Connect To window, select the port to which the cable is
connected and click OK.

Step 5 In the Port Settings window, enter the following settings:

a.. 9600 baud,
b.. 8 data bits,
c.. No parity,
d.. 1 stop bit, and
e.. Xon/Xoff flow control
Step 6 Click OK, and press Enter.

Step 7 When the Summary Status screen appears, reboot the bridge by
unplugging the power connector and then plugging it back in.

Step 8 When the bridge reboots and the Summary Status screen reappears,
type :resetall, and press Enter.

Step 9 Type yes, and press Enter to confirm the command.

----
Note The resetall command is valid for only 2 minutes immediately
after the bridge reboots. If you do not enter and confirm the resetall
command during that 2 minutes, reboot the bridge again.

----

Step 10 After the bridge reboots and the Express Setup screen appears,
reconfigure the bridge by using the terminal emulator or an Internet
browser.

-----
> [Clnts: 0] of 0 [Rptrs: 0] of 0 [Brdgs: 0] of 1 [APs]: 0
>
> ___________________________________
> Events
> Time Severity Description
> 00:01:39 (Warning): Lost Authentication with Parent
> 00:01:27 (Warning): Ethernet Link Lost. Attempting to re-establish
> link to
> primary network.
> 00:01:14 (Warning): No DHCPOFFER's received, restarting the
> negotiation in the
> background
>

> ___________________________________
> Network Ports
> ===[Diagnostics]===
> Device Status Mb/s IP Addr. MAC
> Addr.
> [Ethernet] No Link 0.0 10.100.100.39
> 000bbe566017
> [Br Radio] No Link 11.0 10.100.100.39
> 000bbe566017
>
> (Auto Apply Off) :BOttom, own, ^R, =, <ENTER>, or [Link Text]:
> 00:01:39 (Warning): Lost Authentication with Parent

------

MatGyver

Problem has finally been fixed!!!

I finally stumble across the major part of the problem a couple of
days ago.

Turns out, the Serial cable that came with the new box was bad. I
tried the serial cable that came with the first box just to see if
there was any difference, and low and behold, I could finally get in
the box and reconfigure everything.

It was both frustrating and relieving to find that part out.

Thanks again to everyone for your help. Once I could get in the box, I
flew through the configuration thanks to all the instructions posted
this past week. It got me through it a lot faster than I would have
gotten through it on my own.

Thanks again!!!