Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > security enable wireless network

Reply
Thread Tools

security enable wireless network

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?cnNhbmRlcjY3ODk=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2006
Have Windows 2000 and wirless network. How do I secure enable the network so
that other neighbors cannot connect
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2006
rsander6789 wrote:

> Have Windows 2000 and wirless network. How do I secure enable the
> network so that other neighbors cannot connect


You need to 1) change the SSID to something other than the default; 2)
enable the highest level of encryption (like WPA2) that all your
hardware will support. See:

Wireless - Basic Configuration -
http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
Wireless - Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security - http://tinyurl.com/56fc5

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Z3V5bWFpbmU=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2006
This is much too complicated for the ordinary user. Is there an easier way?
--
Maine


"Malke" wrote:

> rsander6789 wrote:
>
> > Have Windows 2000 and wirless network. How do I secure enable the
> > network so that other neighbors cannot connect

>
> You need to 1) change the SSID to something other than the default; 2)
> enable the highest level of encryption (like WPA2) that all your
> hardware will support. See:
>
> Wireless - Basic Configuration -
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Wireless - Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security - http://tinyurl.com/56fc5
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?Z3V5bWFpbmU=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2006
Did you ever find an easy way to do this? I could not understand the
directions on the web site your respondent referred you to.


--
Maine


"rsander6789" wrote:

> Have Windows 2000 and wirless network. How do I secure enable the network so
> that other neighbors cannot connect

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lem
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2006
guymaine wrote:

> This is much too complicated for the ordinary user. Is there an easier way?


In short, no.

The "SSID" is merely the name you give your wireless network, so that
when you look for available networks, you know that you are connecting
to your own. Too many people leave this at the default setting.
Linksys wireless routers, for example, have a default SSID of "Linksys"
-- so if you and a nearby neighbor both have Linksys routers with that
default SSID, you'll never know if you're connecting to your network or
your neighbor's.

Changing the router's SSID is easy. Look in the User Guide that came
with your router. Because you didn't say what you have, I can't give
you any specific advice.

Setting up encryption is also not difficult. This must be done both in
the router and on your computer. Because Windows 2000 doesn't include
"wireless zero configuration," you'll be using the configuration
software supplied by the manufacturer of whatever wireless adapter is
connected to your computer. Again, see the User Guide for this piece of
hardware as well.

There are 3 levels of encryption used in home wireless networks: WEP,
WPA, and WPA2. WPA may have suboptions of WPA-TPIK and/or WPA-AES.
Similarly, WEP usually offers 64- or 128-bit keys. In order of
increasing security:
WEP 64
WEP 128
WPA (WPA-TPIk)
WPA-AES
WPA2

You should use the highest level security available to you. This may
require updating the firmware for your router and the driver for the
adapter connected to your computer. The User Guides for your hardware
will explain how to do this.

If all of the above really seems too complicated for you, you should
find a local computer professional (not your equivalent of BigStoreUSA),
and have them come and set up security for your wireless network.
Assuming that everything is working OK, and you don't have any viruses
or other malware on your computer, it shouldn't be very expensive.
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?Z3V5bWFpbmU=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2006
Thanks, that helped. Actually, I have Windows XP and I do have a different
SSID than my neighbors. They all have Linksys. That's not the problem. I
always get the connection to my network. I'm just concerned about others
logging on to my computer.

I've printed out your comments and will see what I can do to further secure
my network. Appreciate your remarks.
--
Maine


"Lem" wrote:

> guymaine wrote:
>
> > This is much too complicated for the ordinary user. Is there an easier way?

>
> In short, no.
>
> The "SSID" is merely the name you give your wireless network, so that
> when you look for available networks, you know that you are connecting
> to your own. Too many people leave this at the default setting.
> Linksys wireless routers, for example, have a default SSID of "Linksys"
> -- so if you and a nearby neighbor both have Linksys routers with that
> default SSID, you'll never know if you're connecting to your network or
> your neighbor's.
>
> Changing the router's SSID is easy. Look in the User Guide that came
> with your router. Because you didn't say what you have, I can't give
> you any specific advice.
>
> Setting up encryption is also not difficult. This must be done both in
> the router and on your computer. Because Windows 2000 doesn't include
> "wireless zero configuration," you'll be using the configuration
> software supplied by the manufacturer of whatever wireless adapter is
> connected to your computer. Again, see the User Guide for this piece of
> hardware as well.
>
> There are 3 levels of encryption used in home wireless networks: WEP,
> WPA, and WPA2. WPA may have suboptions of WPA-TPIK and/or WPA-AES.
> Similarly, WEP usually offers 64- or 128-bit keys. In order of
> increasing security:
> WEP 64
> WEP 128
> WPA (WPA-TPIk)
> WPA-AES
> WPA2
>
> You should use the highest level security available to you. This may
> require updating the firmware for your router and the driver for the
> adapter connected to your computer. The User Guides for your hardware
> will explain how to do this.
>
> If all of the above really seems too complicated for you, you should
> find a local computer professional (not your equivalent of BigStoreUSA),
> and have them come and set up security for your wireless network.
> Assuming that everything is working OK, and you don't have any viruses
> or other malware on your computer, it shouldn't be very expensive.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lem
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2006
guymaine wrote:
> Thanks, that helped. Actually, I have Windows XP and I do have a different
> SSID than my neighbors. They all have Linksys. That's not the problem. I
> always get the connection to my network. I'm just concerned about others
> logging on to my computer.
>
> I've printed out your comments and will see what I can do to further secure
> my network. Appreciate your remarks.


Windows XP, especitally if you have installed service pack 2 (which you
should for a wire variety of reasons), makes it easy (OK, easier) to set
up wireless security. There is a lot of info available in the internet.
Try this article
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0804.mspx

After you set up enccryption on your router, set up your computer
followng the discussion at "Updated Wireless Networks tab for the
properties of a wireless connection" in the article above.

Remember, if you attempt to configure your router with a computer that
is connected wirelessly, rather than by Ethernet cable, you will lose
your wireless connection as soon as you click the "save settings" button
on the Linksys "Wireless Security" page.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I security enable a wireless connection =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fycmll?= Wireless Networking 3 08-11-2007 10:23 PM
Network Connection: Must enable/disable network adapter Justin Computer Support 3 08-06-2006 05:03 PM
How to enable people to pay me....(enable credit card payments in my web app) Patrick ASP .Net 1 11-10-2005 11:07 AM
Enable ICS to a wireless network (using windows auto IP configurat =?Utf-8?B?dHBldA==?= Wireless Networking 1 06-09-2005 08:16 PM
possible to disable/enable wireless network adapter via command? =?Utf-8?B?QXJubw==?= Wireless Networking 1 04-26-2005 12:39 PM



Advertisments