Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: failed to connect to SQL server from asp.net

Re: failed to connect to SQL server from asp.net

Bob Barrows [MVP]

> Hello,
>
> I have an asp.net application which connects to SQL server using the
> normal ado.net mechanism. One customer cannot get it to connect to the
> database. his connection string is
>
> user id=aaaa;password=bbbb;initial catalog=cccc;server=dddd
>
> and he gets the message:
>
> Cannot open database requested in login 'cccc'. Login fails. Login
> failed for user 'aaaa'.
>
> The customer insists that he has the values in the connection string
> correct; the only unusual thing is that dddd is actually the IP
> address rather than the host name of the SQL server box.
>
> I am not in a position to do any direct investigation myself. many
> other customers are using the same software without problems. does
> anyone have any clues what might cause this error, other than invalid
> username/password combination?

That's the only cause I know of.
if the IP address was the problem, he would be getting a "not found"
message rather than "login failed", which implies a connection to the
database was initiated, but terminated due to improper credentials.

The customer should check the sql error logs as well as the event logs
to see if any other errors or warnings are present.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET