Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java disappointment

Java disappointment

Java Buai

I aim to do client side and server side programming. I heard that java was
the standard for the web and was very portable across platforms. I was
therefore very happy when I saw it as one the options at UNI. I have done it
now, but when I use it for the web I find that ie keeps blocking it. There
is no point programming sites that will be blocked, clients don't want to be
unblocking every page.

1) Is java best for stand alone programmes.
2) Do I need to forget about java and start all over with php or javascript?

Could I have your advise please. Much thanks.

dimitar

Java Buai wrote:I have done it
> now, but when I use it for the web I find that ie keeps blocking it.

Do you talk about applets? I'd bet that your friends ment something like
these:

- http://wicket.sourceforge.net/Examples.html
- http://rifers.org/examples

Can you see them with MS Explorer?

Oliver Wong

"Java Buai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4yChg.4797$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I aim to do client side and server side programming. I heard that java was
>the standard for the web and was very portable across platforms. I was
>therefore very happy when I saw it as one the options at UNI. I have done
>it now, but when I use it for the web I find that ie keeps blocking it.
>There is no point programming sites that will be blocked, clients don't
>want to be unblocking every page.
>
> 1) Is java best for stand alone programmes.

There does not exist any single programming language which is "best for
stand alone programs". There's too much variance between stand alone
programs to make a general claim like that.

> 2) Do I need to forget about java and start all over with php or
> javascript?

Are Flash animations blocked with your copy of IE? If not, you might
consider learning Flash. If so, then perhaps JavaScript is indeed your only
hope. PHP isn't for client side web applications.

Note that you seem to be making the assumption that just because
*YOU'VE* experience some sort of "blocking", that all users do. I can run
Java Applets just fine. But then again, I'm using FireFox, and not Internet
Explorer.

- Oliver

Mark Space

Java Buai wrote:
> I aim to do client side and server side programming. I heard that java was
> the standard for the web and was very portable across platforms. I was
> therefore very happy when I saw it as one the options at UNI. I have done it
> now, but when I use it for the web I find that ie keeps blocking it. There
> is no point programming sites that will be blocked, clients don't want to be
> unblocking every page.
>
> 1) Is java best for stand alone programmes.
> 2) Do I need to forget about java and start all over with php or javascript?
>
> Could I have your advise please. Much thanks.

Hmm, PHP is sever side, and javascript is client side? Which end
are you talking about programming here?

There should be no way for IE to block jsp/jservlets from the
server.

On my client, I have Java disabled right now because some ad at
the NYTimes was crashing Mozilla. You can detect Java and other
capabilities in javascript, I think, and inform the user if he
needs to change his settings.

But personally web 2.0 with javascript might be well worth
looking into....