Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird & ZoneAlarm problems

Reply
Thread Tools

Thunderbird & ZoneAlarm problems

 
 
Moochie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2006
I'm running WinXP Home SP2, Thunderbird 1.5, and ZoneAlarm 6.1.7.

I've shut off the Windows Firewall. Everytime I try to get my e-mail
via POP in Thunderbird, it just hangs and says "Can't connect to
server...". However, when I successfully visit a website (any website)
and THEN check my e-mail via TB, it receives and sends mail just fine.

So, why do I have to connect with a website FIRST before Thunderbird
will work for me?

I've noticed sometimes even with Firefox that the first website I try
to view doesn't work (just hangs "Connecting..."), but the second
website I try works.

All of this only started happening after I installed the free ZoneAlarm
6.1.7.

Please help. Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kaat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2006
Moochie wrote:
> I'm running WinXP Home SP2, Thunderbird 1.5, and ZoneAlarm 6.1.7.
>
> I've shut off the Windows Firewall. Everytime I try to get my e-mail
> via POP in Thunderbird, it just hangs and says "Can't connect to
> server...". However, when I successfully visit a website (any website)
> and THEN check my e-mail via TB, it receives and sends mail just fine.
>
> So, why do I have to connect with a website FIRST before Thunderbird
> will work for me?
>
> I've noticed sometimes even with Firefox that the first website I try
> to view doesn't work (just hangs "Connecting..."), but the second
> website I try works.
>
> All of this only started happening after I installed the free ZoneAlarm
> 6.1.7.
>
> Please help. Thanks.
>


Have you entered your DNS and DHCP into the ZA Firewall Trusted Zone ?

Also, if you are a new user of ZA Free - the ZA Forums are a great help.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
SteveG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2006
Moochie wrote:
> I'm running WinXP Home SP2, Thunderbird 1.5, and ZoneAlarm 6.1.7.
>
> I've shut off the Windows Firewall. Everytime I try to get my e-mail
> via POP in Thunderbird, it just hangs and says "Can't connect to
> server...". However, when I successfully visit a website (any website)
> and THEN check my e-mail via TB, it receives and sends mail just fine.
>
> So, why do I have to connect with a website FIRST before Thunderbird
> will work for me?
>
> I've noticed sometimes even with Firefox that the first website I try
> to view doesn't work (just hangs "Connecting..."), but the second
> website I try works.
>
> All of this only started happening after I installed the free ZoneAlarm
> 6.1.7.
>
> Please help. Thanks.
>


You don't say of your ZA if the free or Pro version, but I guess this
might apply to both.

In ZA's control centre select "program control" and "programs". Is there
a green tick in the "send mail" column for TB? It also needs a tick in
both the "trusted" and "internet" columns under "access".

HTH

--
Regards

Steve G
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan Moorman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2006
On 6 Jun 2006 19:28:57 -0700, "Moochie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm running WinXP Home SP2, Thunderbird 1.5, and ZoneAlarm 6.1.7.
>
>I've shut off the Windows Firewall. Everytime I try to get my e-mail
>via POP in Thunderbird, it just hangs and says "Can't connect to
>server...". However, when I successfully visit a website (any website)
>and THEN check my e-mail via TB, it receives and sends mail just fine.
>
>So, why do I have to connect with a website FIRST before Thunderbird
>will work for me?
>
>I've noticed sometimes even with Firefox that the first website I try
>to view doesn't work (just hangs "Connecting..."), but the second
>website I try works.
>
>All of this only started happening after I installed the free ZoneAlarm
>6.1.7.
>
>Please help. Thanks.



I used to have problems now and then when I used Zone Alarm Pro.

Finally got the entire Norton Utilities suite, and the problem
stopped.

Although NU seems to have added a BIG amount of hard drive activity,
and has slowed down the boot-up and shut-down.

Alan


 
Reply With Quote
 
Moochie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2006
I indeed have Thunderbird checked for everything I can. I don't have a
column for "check e-mail), but just for "Access" and "Server"
("Trusted" and "Internet" for both). I'm using the free version.
Still have the same problem.


SteveG wrote:
> Moochie wrote:
> > I'm running WinXP Home SP2, Thunderbird 1.5, and ZoneAlarm 6.1.7.
> >
> > I've shut off the Windows Firewall. Everytime I try to get my e-mail
> > via POP in Thunderbird, it just hangs and says "Can't connect to
> > server...". However, when I successfully visit a website (any website)
> > and THEN check my e-mail via TB, it receives and sends mail just fine.
> >
> > So, why do I have to connect with a website FIRST before Thunderbird
> > will work for me?
> >
> > I've noticed sometimes even with Firefox that the first website I try
> > to view doesn't work (just hangs "Connecting..."), but the second
> > website I try works.
> >
> > All of this only started happening after I installed the free ZoneAlarm
> > 6.1.7.
> >
> > Please help. Thanks.
> >

>
> You don't say of your ZA if the free or Pro version, but I guess this
> might apply to both.
>
> In ZA's control centre select "program control" and "programs". Is there
> a green tick in the "send mail" column for TB? It also needs a tick in
> both the "trusted" and "internet" columns under "access".
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Steve G


 
Reply With Quote
 
Canopus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2006
Alan Moorman on 07/06/2006 wrote:

>I used to have problems now and then when I used Zone Alarm Pro.
>
>Finally got the entire Norton Utilities suite, and the problem
>stopped.
>
>Although NU seems to have added a BIG amount of hard drive activity,
>and has slowed down the boot-up and shut-down.
>
>Alan


I used to have lots of problems with Norton Utilities then uninstalled
them (with a struggle) and installed Zone Alarm and AVG and have never
looked back since. Far less resource hungry than NU too.

--
Rob

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Canopus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2006
Chalky on 09/06/2006 wrote:

>Alan Moorman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>>On 6 Jun 2006 19:28:57 -0700, "Moochie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm running WinXP Home SP2, Thunderbird 1.5, and ZoneAlarm 6.1.7.
>>>
>>>I've shut off the Windows Firewall. Everytime I try to get my e-mail
>>>via POP in Thunderbird, it just hangs and says "Can't connect to
>>>server...". However, when I successfully visit a website (any website)
>>>and THEN check my e-mail via TB, it receives and sends mail just fine.
>>>
>>>So, why do I have to connect with a website FIRST before Thunderbird
>>>will work for me?
>>>
>>>I've noticed sometimes even with Firefox that the first website I try
>>>to view doesn't work (just hangs "Connecting..."), but the second
>>>website I try works.
>>>
>>>All of this only started happening after I installed the free ZoneAlarm
>>>6.1.7.
>>>
>>>Please help. Thanks.

>>
>>
>>I used to have problems now and then when I used Zone Alarm Pro.
>>
>>Finally got the entire Norton Utilities suite, and the problem
>>stopped.
>>
>>Although NU seems to have added a BIG amount of hard drive activity,
>>and has slowed down the boot-up and shut-down.
>>
>>Alan
>>
>>

>
>Norton is the worse thing you could put on a computer.


And even worse to try to trouble shoot or remove

--
Rob

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chalky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2006
Alan Moorman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 6 Jun 2006 19:28:57 -0700, "Moochie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'm running WinXP Home SP2, Thunderbird 1.5, and ZoneAlarm 6.1.7.
>>
>>I've shut off the Windows Firewall. Everytime I try to get my e-mail
>>via POP in Thunderbird, it just hangs and says "Can't connect to
>>server...". However, when I successfully visit a website (any website)
>>and THEN check my e-mail via TB, it receives and sends mail just fine.
>>
>>So, why do I have to connect with a website FIRST before Thunderbird
>>will work for me?
>>
>>I've noticed sometimes even with Firefox that the first website I try
>>to view doesn't work (just hangs "Connecting..."), but the second
>>website I try works.
>>
>>All of this only started happening after I installed the free ZoneAlarm
>>6.1.7.
>>
>>Please help. Thanks.

>
>
> I used to have problems now and then when I used Zone Alarm Pro.
>
> Finally got the entire Norton Utilities suite, and the problem
> stopped.
>
> Although NU seems to have added a BIG amount of hard drive activity,
> and has slowed down the boot-up and shut-down.
>
> Alan
>
>


Norton is the worse thing you could put on a computer.

--
***************
___,
\o
|
/ \ Chalky
***************


 
Reply With Quote
 
SteveG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2006
Chalky wrote:

>
> Norton is the worse thing you could put on a computer.
>

With the possible exception of Windoze

--
Regards

Steve G
 
Reply With Quote
 
SteveG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-09-2006
Moochie wrote:

> I indeed have Thunderbird checked for everything I can. I don't have a
> column for "check e-mail), but just for "Access" and "Server"
> ("Trusted" and "Internet" for both). I'm using the free version.
> Still have the same problem.
>


A minor point but I didn't say "check email" ~ it's "send email" and
should be the right hand column on that screen. Of course, ZA free may
not have that option.

Have you tried deleting TB from the ZA program list and then running TB
again? This should cause ZA to ask if you want TB to have access to the
internet and would overcome any issues with ZA not recognising your
particular version of TB.

Other than that, Moochie, I'm out of ideas, sorry

--
Regards

Steve G
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zonealarm 6 problems. Swiss Tony Computer Support 0 08-06-2005 08:50 PM
Thunderbird 1.0 install over Thunderbird 0.8 mapmaker Firefox 4 03-05-2005 12:16 AM
ZoneAlarm & Mozilla Thunderbird =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?= Computer Security 6 01-03-2005 03:12 AM
Anonymizer/Zonealarm Problems Paul Anderson Computer Security 1 07-11-2004 11:05 PM
ZoneAlarm Causes Session Problems Jeff S ASP .Net 2 01-20-2004 05:25 AM



Advertisments