Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Executable jar

Executable jar

Andrew T.

dimitar wrote:
> I have an app which I consider to migrate to Webstart. It's already
> packaged in signed jars and requires the following permissions:
>
> - establish a few socket connections.
> - read/write to user's preference store.
> - write to temp file system.
> - load native code (the SWT libraries).

Given the code is already signed, it will be easy to request
full permissions (your only option here) in the JNLP file.

> Right now the user has to download a package, unzip it in an empty
> directory and click on the right file.

Ick..

>..The target scenario is that an
> user would receive a link in his email, click it and the application
> will start, adding a new icon in his start menu as well.

You can also suggest a desktop icon or menu item for the
app., the user gets to choose if they actually want it.
(the best of all worlds.)

( And JWS allows easy update of the application or JRE. Sweet. )

Andrew T.