Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Do any adapters do address translation?

Do any adapters do address translation?

Pat Coghlan

I'm wondering if one or more of these adapters allow users to configure
simple address translation tables to automatically insert the local area
code etc.

Our area is going to 10-digit dialing, but I'm thinking maybe I could
remain on 7-digit dialing if I program the adapter to insert my area
code unless I start with a '0' or '1'.

Is there an adapter that supports this feature?

Rick Merrill

Pat Coghlan wrote:

> I'm wondering if one or more of these adapters allow users to configure
> simple address translation tables to automatically insert the local area
> code etc.
>
> Our area is going to 10-digit dialing, but I'm thinking maybe I could
> remain on 7-digit dialing if I program the adapter to insert my area
> code unless I start with a '0' or '1'.
>
> Is there an adapter that supports this feature?

NAT yes, that no.

Pat Coghlan

Can you elaborate on what they can support?

Rick Merrill wrote:
> Pat Coghlan wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if one or more of these adapters allow users to
>> configure simple address translation tables to automatically insert
>> the local area code etc.
>>
>> Our area is going to 10-digit dialing, but I'm thinking maybe I could
>> remain on 7-digit dialing if I program the adapter to insert my area
>> code unless I start with a '0' or '1'.
>>
>> Is there an adapter that supports this feature?

> NAT yes, that no.

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Pat Coghlan:
> I'm wondering if one or more of these adapters allow users to
> configure simple address translation tables to automatically insert
> the local area code etc.
>
> Our area is going to 10-digit dialing, but I'm thinking maybe I could
> remain on 7-digit dialing if I program the adapter to insert my area
> code unless I start with a '0' or '1'.
>
> Is there an adapter that supports this feature?

I use a LinkSys PAP2, I have it set up so that when I dial a 7 digit local
number, it dials 0044121 in front of the number, as the VoIP provider I use
requires numbers to be in international format, when I dial numbers
beginning 0 as in the UK numbers begin with a 0, it translates this to 0044,
other LinkSys / Sipura devices have the same capabilities.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For 5 airtime bonus contact via:

Ivor Jones

"Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news(E-Mail Removed)
> Pat Coghlan wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if one or more of these adapters allow
> > users to configure simple address translation tables to
> > automatically insert the local area code etc.
> >
> > Our area is going to 10-digit dialing, but I'm thinking
> > maybe I could remain on 7-digit dialing if I program
> > the adapter to insert my area code unless I start with
> > a '0' or '1'. Is there an adapter that supports this feature?

> NAT yes, that no.

Wrong. Any of the Sipura range of ATA's has a user-configurable dial plan
that allows you to do this. It's not for the novice user though and
requires some knowledge of how the adaptor and VoIP works.

Ivor

Rick Merrill

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news(E-Mail Removed)
>
>>Pat Coghlan wrote:
>>

>>>I'm wondering if one or more of these adapters allow
>>>users to configure simple address translation tables to
>>>automatically insert the local area code etc.
>>>
>>>Our area is going to 10-digit dialing, but I'm thinking
>>>maybe I could remain on 7-digit dialing if I program
>>>the adapter to insert my area code unless I start with
>>>a '0' or '1'. Is there an adapter that supports this feature?

>>NAT yes, that no.

> Wrong. Any of the Sipura range of ATA's has a user-configurable dial plan
> that allows you to do this. It's not for the novice user though and
> requires some knowledge of how the adaptor and VoIP works.
>
> Ivor

Well, if that's all you mean by translation!-) Hey, CallVantage has
a real timesaver called "SPEEDDIAL"!

Ivor Jones

"Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Ivor Jones wrote:

[snip]

> > Wrong. Any of the Sipura range of ATA's has a
> > user-configurable dial plan that allows you to do this.
> > It's not for the novice user though and requires some
> > knowledge of how the adaptor and VoIP works.

> Well, if that's all you mean by translation!-) Hey,
> CallVantage has a real timesaver called "SPEEDDIAL"!

All my ATA's have that as well, irrespective of provider, so what..? Speed
dial usually only works for a specific number entered into its memory, the
OP wanted to prefix all 7 digit numbers entered.

Ivor