Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > image conversion

image conversion

David McDivitt

I need help finding what to download and install to do server-side image
conversion from TIFF to JPG. I want to read a TIFF file and write a separate
JPG file for each page. I updated my JRE to 1.4.2.12. Probably what I need
are a few examples that do something similar, then I can resolve classes
from there. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Oliver Wong

"David McDivitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need help finding what to download and install to do server-side image
> conversion from TIFF to JPG. I want to read a TIFF file and write a
> separate
> JPG file for each page. I updated my JRE to 1.4.2.12. Probably what I need
> are a few examples that do something similar, then I can resolve classes
> from there. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

When I google for "java convert tiff to jpg" I get
http://www.catenary.com/howto/tif2jpeg.html

- Oliver

David McDivitt

>From: "Oliver Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 16:06:48 GMT
>
>"David McDivitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I need help finding what to download and install to do server-side image
>> conversion from TIFF to JPG. I want to read a TIFF file and write a
>> separate
>> JPG file for each page. I updated my JRE to 1.4.2.12. Probably what I need
>> are a few examples that do something similar, then I can resolve classes
>> from there. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
>>

>When I google for "java convert tiff to jpg" I get
>http://www.catenary.com/howto/tif2jpeg.html

Thanks. I saw that, too. Some libraries must be purchased for it to work.

I've done a lot of image stuff with VB6, but not with java. Most of what I
found is dated 1996 and 1997 and pages aren't there anymore. Something more
current would be better.

Two promising URLs are:
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/j...-servlets.html
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/j...-09-media.html

my google was:
(convert OR conversion) (image OR imaging) java -applet

Knute Johnson

David McDivitt wrote:
> I need help finding what to download and install to do server-side image
> conversion from TIFF to JPG. I want to read a TIFF file and write a separate
> JPG file for each page. I updated my JRE to 1.4.2.12. Probably what I need
> are a few examples that do something similar, then I can resolve classes
> from there. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Go to the website below and get the Java Image I/O Tools

https://jai-imageio.dev.java.net/

With that you can read and write TIFF images and use the ImageIO classes
to do it.

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute/

David McDivitt

>From: David McDivitt <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 10:30:46 -0500
>
>I need help finding what to download and install to do server-side image
>conversion from TIFF to JPG. I want to read a TIFF file and write a separate
>JPG file for each page. I updated my JRE to 1.4.2.12. Probably what I need
>are a few examples that do something similar, then I can resolve classes
>from there. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

The best URL I've found so far is:
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp...585&tstart=210

Stefan Ram

David McDivitt <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>I need help finding what to download and install to do server-side image
>>conversion from TIFF to JPG. I want to read a TIFF file and write a separate

I am working on a catalogue system that is intended to answer
such queries. It has a page for TIFF, indeed:

http://purl.net/stefan_ram/garnoo/XO...TIONXSYTYIYFYF

This page lists all systems that can read or write TIFF
known to the system.

For the convenience of readers who do not want to
visit the above page: The systems listed are:

- »Java Imaging Utilities« and
- »ImageJ«.

(This system can be extended by user data submitted in a
special text file format, details are available on request.)

Of course, there also is the well-known page by Marco Schmidt:

http://schmidt.devlib.org/java/image-io-libraries.html

Jeffrey H. Coffield

David McDivitt wrote:
> I need help finding what to download and install to do server-side image
> conversion from TIFF to JPG. I want to read a TIFF file and write a separate
> JPG file for each page. I updated my JRE to 1.4.2.12. Probably what I need
> are a few examples that do something similar, then I can resolve classes
> from there. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

This is not a pure java approach but I use Imagemagick on the server to
do any conversions needed between image file formats.

Jeff Coffield

Mladen Adamovic

David McDivitt wrote:
> I need help finding what to download and install to do server-side image
> conversion from TIFF to JPG. I want to read a TIFF file and write a separate
> JPG file for each page. I updated my JRE to 1.4.2.12. Probably what I need
> are a few examples that do something similar, then I can resolve classes
> from there. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

I can recommend you ImageMagick.
There are Java API for it.

--
Mladen Adamovic