Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Profiles?????

Profiles?????

KDG

Occasionally Firefox will pop up to ask if I want to use the default
profile or another profile (IIRC). When I click default, it won't let
me choose it because it is in use. If I choose the other option, it
changes the whole look from what I am used to seeing.

I find nothing in help or FAQ regarding profiles.

Anyone?

gwtc

KDG wrote:

> Occasionally Firefox will pop up to ask if I want to use the default
> profile or another profile (IIRC). When I click default, it won't let
> me choose it because it is in use. If I choose the other option, it
> changes the whole look from what I am used to seeing.
>
> I find nothing in help or FAQ regarding profiles.
>
> Anyone?

All your settings, prefs, bookmarks, passwords, extensions, themes,
etc, are stored in an area called your profile.

If you closed FF, sometimes it doesn't close completely. Its still
running in the background. So, when you restart FF, you will get a
message saying that the default profile is in use and asks if you want
to create a new profile. If you say yes, then you will get a new
profile and have to start from scratch.

So, the next time you get that message, don't click Yes. Instead,
click Cancel. Then bring up the task manager [ctrl+alt+del] and end
FF there. Now, restart FF and it should start up with your default
profile.

--
You know you need a new housekeeper when: they keep looking nervously
at the TV and asking if you're planning to watch America's Most Wanted.

Riggo

Profiles are just another thing to possibly go wrong with the
software, IMO. I think they should be turned OFF by default,
I imagine most people running FF wouldn't require different
profiles.

Andy Luddy

Riggo wrote:
> Profiles are just another thing to possibly go wrong with the software,
> IMO. I think they should be turned OFF by default, I imagine most
> people running FF wouldn't require different profiles.

Well, in a sense they are. If nothing goes wrong and you don't
deliberately run the profile manager and create a new one, everything
is stored in the default profile, which is as close as you can get to
"no profiles". Unless what you'd like is to lock out the creation of
new profiles, which I can see some sense to, given the number of users
who apparently have accidentally created a new profile and "lost" all
their settings.

--
Andy Luddy
Perform appendectomy to reply

KDG

Where can one find the profile box? Is there anyway to bring it up
without waiting for it to come up by itself? I've looked everywhere if
FF to no avail. There must be a way to set the profiles if it offers
you a choice, right??????????

Thanks for the responses thus far.

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 09:42:06 -0400, Andy Luddy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Riggo wrote:
>> Profiles are just another thing to possibly go wrong with the software,
>> IMO. I think they should be turned OFF by default, I imagine most
>> people running FF wouldn't require different profiles.

>Well, in a sense they are. If nothing goes wrong and you don't
>deliberately run the profile manager and create a new one, everything
>is stored in the default profile, which is as close as you can get to
>"no profiles". Unless what you'd like is to lock out the creation of
>new profiles, which I can see some sense to, given the number of users
>who apparently have accidentally created a new profile and "lost" all
>their settings.

gwtc

KDG wrote:

> Where can one find the profile box? Is there anyway to bring it up
> without waiting for it to come up by itself? I've looked everywhere if
> FF to no avail. There must be a way to set the profiles if it offers
> you a choice, right??????????
>
> Thanks for the responses thus far.
>

> On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 09:42:06 -0400, Andy Luddy
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Riggo wrote:
>>
>>>Profiles are just another thing to possibly go wrong with the software,
>>>IMO. I think they should be turned OFF by default, I imagine most
>>>people running FF wouldn't require different profiles.

>>Well, in a sense they are. If nothing goes wrong and you don't
>>deliberately run the profile manager and create a new one, everything
>>is stored in the default profile, which is as close as you can get to
>>"no profiles". Unless what you'd like is to lock out the creation of
>>new profiles, which I can see some sense to, given the number of users
>>who apparently have accidentally created a new profile and "lost" all
>>their settings.

close the program and make sure its closed by looking in the task
manager [ctrl+alt+del]. Then click on Start, Run and enter:

firefox.exe -p

this will bring up the profile manager.

--
You know you need a new housekeeper when: She's great with the food
budget -- but the hamsters are missing and last night's burgers tasted

patriciaj102 patriciaj102 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtc
KDG wrote:

> Where can one find the profile box? Is there anyway to bring it up
> without waiting for it to come up by itself? I've looked everywhere if
> FF to no avail. There must be a way to set the profiles if it offers
> you a choice, right??????????
>
> Thanks for the responses thus far.
>

> On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 09:42:06 -0400, Andy Luddy
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Riggo wrote:
>>
>>>Profiles are just another thing to possibly go wrong with the software,
>>>IMO. I think they should be turned OFF by default, I imagine most
>>>people running FF wouldn't require different profiles.

>>Well, in a sense they are. If nothing goes wrong and you don't
>>deliberately run the profile manager and create a new one, everything
>>is stored in the default profile, which is as close as you can get to
>>"no profiles". Unless what you'd like is to lock out the creation of
>>new profiles, which I can see some sense to, given the number of users
>>who apparently have accidentally created a new profile and "lost" all
>>their settings.

close the program and make sure its closed by looking in the task
manager [ctrl+alt+del]. Then click on Start, Run and enter:

firefox.exe -p

this will bring up the profile manager.

--
You know you need a new housekeeper when: She's great with the food
budget -- but the hamsters are missing and last night's burgers tasted
a bit funky.
This did not work for me...