Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > NTP on DDR

NTP on DDR

Groper

I have a central PPP server (3640) and want my remote sites to sync thier
time when they connect once a day to download files.
But I don't want NTP to bring the line up itself.

How would I configure NTP on both sides to sync only when connected.

Thanks
Groper

Ivan Ostres

"Groper" <michael.groves@valuelink_nospam_.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3f991b62$0$9466$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> I have a central PPP server (3640) and want my remote sites to sync thier
> time when they connect once a day to download files.
> But I don't want NTP to bring the line up itself.
>
> How would I configure NTP on both sides to sync only when connected.

In interesting traffic access-list deny NTP traffic.

Ivan

Groper

Interesting idea, just done some further research. What about if I were to
use

ppp Server 3640
!
Dialer0
ntp broadcast

remote 2620
!
BRI0/0
ntp broadcast client

Would this be better, or should I use a combination of both?

Thanks
Groper

"Ivan Ostres" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bnb6ac$uh1ko$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Groper" <michael.groves@valuelink_nospam_.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:3f991b62$0$9466$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> > I have a central PPP server (3640) and want my remote sites to sync

thier
> > time when they connect once a day to download files.
> > But I don't want NTP to bring the line up itself.
> >
> > How would I configure NTP on both sides to sync only when connected.
> >

> In interesting traffic access-list deny NTP traffic.
>
> Ivan

Groper

OK, looks like the ntp broadcast keeps bringing the line up, not a desired
result.

On the interesting traffic access list, surly if I block ntp, I'll get no
sync at all

Thanks
Groper

"Groper" <michael.groves@valuelink_nospam_.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3f9920bb$0$9474$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> Interesting idea, just done some further research. What about if I were to
> use
>
> ppp Server 3640
> !
> Dialer0
> ntp broadcast
>

> remote 2620
> !
> BRI0/0
> ntp broadcast client
>
> Would this be better, or should I use a combination of both?
>
> Thanks
> Groper
>

> "Ivan Ostres" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bnb6ac$uh1ko$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > "Groper" <michael.groves@valuelink_nospam_.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:3f991b62$0$9466$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> > > I have a central PPP server (3640) and want my remote sites to sync

> thier
> > > time when they connect once a day to download files.
> > > But I don't want NTP to bring the line up itself.
> > >
> > > How would I configure NTP on both sides to sync only when connected.
> > >

> > In interesting traffic access-list deny NTP traffic.
> >
> > Ivan

Ivan Ostres

"Groper" <michael.groves@valuelink_nospam_.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3f9929cb$0$247$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> OK, looks like the ntp broadcast keeps bringing the line up, not a desired
> result.
>
> On the interesting traffic access list, surly if I block ntp, I'll get no
> sync at all

You will, interesting traffic access-list is just for bringing line up (and
keeping it up), but it won't block anything when line is up. Just will
prevent ntp for bringing line up.

Ivan

Phillip Remaker

"Groper" <michael.groves@valuelink_nospam_.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3f9929cb$0$247$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> On the interesting traffic access list, surely if I block ntp, I'll get no
> sync at all

You misunderstand. The interesting traffic 'access-list' is only what
causes dialing. It is unfortunated that it uses a think called
'access-list.' access-list really is just a data structure to describe a
group of IP addresses and service ports.

If you wanted to stop NTP traffic, you would need to add an "access-GROUP"
to the interface. "dialer-group" only controls dialing. So deny NTP only
on the dialer-group access list but not the access-group access list.

Martin Gallagher

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:31:55 +0100, Groper wrote:

> OK, looks like the ntp broadcast keeps bringing the line up, not a desired
> result.

So make it uninteresting then.

> On the interesting traffic access list, surly if I block ntp, I'll get no
> sync at all

You're not blocking the traffic when you make it uninteresting, you're
just telling the router to not bring/keep the link up on account of these
particular packets.

The traffic itself is still forwarded across the link.

--
Rgds,
Martin

DDR Video cards on non-DDR Mobos Dave Hardenbrook A+ Certification 7 02-05-2007 04:41 PM
Mixing DDR & DDR@ Memory Martin Kallikak, Jr. Computer Support 8 01-31-2007 02:34 PM
Convert to NTP Timestamp Manzoorul Hassan Perl 1 03-11-2005 05:37 PM
ntp from ntp.org Scott Crabb Cisco 5 08-06-2004 09:30 PM
Duel channel DDR = normal DDR? TmcT NZ Computing 3 09-19-2003 11:03 PM

Advertisments