Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Monitoring the using SNMP C2950

Reply
Thread Tools

Monitoring the using SNMP C2950

 
 
xantos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2003
I am monitoring a C2950 every 5 minutes using SNMP to gather info
about CPU, memory and interface statistics.
Monitoring a C2950 at night time is no problem because there is no
much traffic.
But during day-time I have problems with a fast-ethernet interface.

In the morning as soon as the amount of traffic passes approximatily
640kbits/sec (according to the statistics) monitoring the
fast-ethernet interface causes problems.

The utilisation bits/sec statistic stucs.
The packets/sec statistics has an information gab from the morning
when the amount of traffic passes the approximatily 640kbits/sec until
the evening when the amount of traffic passes the 640kbits/sec
approximatily again.

The oposite gigabitethernet interface gives nice figures.

Manual snmpgets gives normal answers.
CPU usage is 1-2 percent.

I am wondering whether the C2950 can handle the snmp requests combined
with larger amount of traffic.

Please advise.
Xantos.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andre Beck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2003
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (xantos) writes:
>
> I am monitoring a C2950 every 5 minutes using SNMP to gather info
> about CPU, memory and interface statistics.


With MRTG?

> Monitoring a C2950 at night time is no problem because there is no
> much traffic.
> But during day-time I have problems with a fast-ethernet interface.
>
> In the morning as soon as the amount of traffic passes approximatily
> 640kbits/sec (according to the statistics) monitoring the
> fast-ethernet interface causes problems.
>
> The utilisation bits/sec statistic stucs.


It stays stuck at that value?

> The packets/sec statistics has an information gab from the morning
> when the amount of traffic passes the approximatily 640kbits/sec until
> the evening when the amount of traffic passes the 640kbits/sec
> approximatily again.


Hmm.

> The oposite gigabitethernet interface gives nice figures.
>
> Manual snmpgets gives normal answers.


Thats strange.

> CPU usage is 1-2 percent.


On some Cisco platforms, SNMP can wreak havoc to the CPU load. Do for
instance never try to pull the MIB2 routing table from a box that has
BGP full table (or any table of significant size)...

> I am wondering whether the C2950 can handle the snmp requests combined
> with larger amount of traffic.


If the manual snmpgets give normal answers, it appears that it can.
Have you checked your monitoring app? Maybe it's just a limiter in
that software, like MaxBytes/AbsMax in MRTG. Or the software combines
SNMP OIDs in the queries in a way the 2950 chokes on. Try to sniff that.

--
The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration
or "how to turn a complete illusion into a neverending money source"

-> Andre "ABPSoft" Beck +++ ABP-RIPE +++ Dresden, Germany, Spacetime <-
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
xantos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2003
Andre Beck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> If the manual snmpgets give normal answers, it appears that it can.
> Have you checked your monitoring app? Maybe it's just a limiter in
> that software, like MaxBytes/AbsMax in MRTG. Or the software combines
> SNMP OIDs in the queries in a way the 2950 chokes on. Try to sniff that.


Thank you Andre,
It was caused by a few limiters in the MRTG configuration file like MaxBytes/AbsMax.
I changed the port-configuration but not the MRTG parameters.

Kind regards,
Xantos
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C2950-C3H2S-MZ.120-5.3.WC.1.BIN SNMP or Ciscoworks Reboot Issue LC Cisco 1 03-01-2009 03:52 AM
Monitoring Cisco Total Memory and flash using SNMP dhodgson7@gmail.com Cisco 0 11-21-2007 06:22 AM
SNMP module to query net-snmp milaus Perl Misc 3 08-31-2006 03:31 PM
C2950 and SNMP error Tom Pouce Cisco 1 07-28-2004 07:13 PM
SNMP - Cisco - SNMP news.easynews.com Cisco 0 03-04-2004 10:44 PM



Advertisments