Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla 1.7.13 Problem

Mozilla 1.7.13 Problem

Jerry

Love the program but, when I exit the program,
on given days, the machine will revert back to
the blue screen stating that something might be
wrong with my drive. It enacts the disc scan with
these notations.

"Prefs.js = first allocation unit is not valid."

"Bookmarks.html entry is not valid."

I have learned to backup this program quite
often, so I delete the existing program and
utilize the last backup and I am off and running.

Any insight would be appreciated. Would any newer
program like SeaMonkey be any better?

TIA Gerald.

gwtc

Jerry wrote:

> Love the program but, when I exit the program,
> on given days, the machine will revert back to
> the blue screen stating that something might be
> wrong with my drive. It enacts the disc scan with
> these notations.
>
> "Prefs.js = first allocation unit is not valid."
>
> "Bookmarks.html entry is not valid."
>
> I have learned to backup this program quite
> often, so I delete the existing program and
> utilize the last backup and I am off and running.
>
> Any insight would be appreciated. Would any newer
> program like SeaMonkey be any better?
>
> TIA Gerald.

what blue screen? Window Blue Screen of Death? If so, *exactly* what
does it say.

--
You know you need a new housekeeper when: they keep looking nervously
at the TV and asking if you're planning to watch America's Most Wanted.

nobody

Jerry wrote:
> Love the program but, when I exit the program,
> on given days, the machine will revert back to
> the blue screen stating that something might be
> wrong with my drive. It enacts the disc scan with
> these notations.
>
> "Prefs.js = first allocation unit is not valid."
>
> "Bookmarks.html entry is not valid."
>
> I have learned to backup this program quite
> often, so I delete the existing program and
> utilize the last backup and I am off and running.
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.

When is the last time you ran scandisk on the drive
where you keep your Mozilla profiles?

Would any newer
> program like SeaMonkey be any better?

IMHO, SeaMonkey 1.0.2 is a masterpiece -- *way* better than Mozilla
1.7.anything! The GPG key manager and enigmail work perfectly.
The bookmarks manager is much smoother and faster and solid as a rock.
(And, given that I have a 8MB bookmarks file that I update and modify a
hundred times every day, the bookmarks manager is at least as important
to me as the browser!)

It's just better program. period.

But I suspect the source of your problem lies elsewhere.

What brand of hard drive is it? How old is it? When is the last time
you ran the mfg's drive fitness program?

HTH
--
nobody

Nobody

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 02:49:42 GMT, nobody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jerry wrote:
>> Love the program but, when I exit the program,
>> on given days, the machine will revert back to
>> the blue screen stating that something might be
>> wrong with my drive. It enacts the disc scan with
>> these notations.
>>
>> "Prefs.js = first allocation unit is not valid."
>>
>> "Bookmarks.html entry is not valid."
>>
>> I have learned to backup this program quite
>> often, so I delete the existing program and
>> utilize the last backup and I am off and running.
>>
>> Any insight would be appreciated.

> When is the last time you ran scandisk on the drive
>where you keep your Mozilla profiles?
>
>Would any newer
>> program like SeaMonkey be any better?
>>

> IMHO, SeaMonkey 1.0.2 is a masterpiece -- *way* better than Mozilla
>1.7.anything! The GPG key manager and enigmail work perfectly.
>The bookmarks manager is much smoother and faster and solid as a rock.
>(And, given that I have a 8MB bookmarks file that I update and modify a
>hundred times every day, the bookmarks manager is at least as important
>to me as the browser!)
>
> It's just better program. period.
>
> But I suspect the source of your problem lies elsewhere.
>
> What brand of hard drive is it? How old is it? When is the last time
>you ran the mfg's drive fitness program?
>
> HTH

Um... crikey... there are two <nobody>'s posting to this group.

But I defer to your assessment of SeaMonkey 1.0.2 being "way" better
than Moz <1.7.anything>.