Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 801 (ISDN): DNS Relay

Cisco 801 (ISDN): DNS Relay

C.S.Mager

I've already written about my router and the ICMP problem, but I have one
other query:

On my old router, it acted as a sort of DNS relay. I added the internal ip
address of the router under the DNS server setting on the clients, and the
router relayed the requests to the name-servers given by the ISP.

I can add 'ip nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' to the router, but this doesn't
seem to do the same thing. The router can resolve names, but it won't
resolve names for my clients (If you understand what I mean!). As a result,
I've had to add the namservers of the ISP to the DNS config on the clients.

Is this the best way to do it? Or are there better ways?

Thanks

C.S.Mager

Jesper Skriver

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:33:38 +0000 (UTC), C.S.Mager wrote:

> I've already written about my router and the ICMP problem, but I have
> one other query:
>
> On my old router, it acted as a sort of DNS relay. I added the
> internal ip address of the router under the DNS server setting on the
> clients, and the router relayed the requests to the name-servers given
> by the ISP.
>
> I can add 'ip nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' to the router, but this
> doesn't seem to do the same thing. The router can resolve names,
> but it won't resolve names for my clients (If you understand what I
> mean!). As a result, I've had to add the namservers of the ISP to the
> DNS config on the clients.
>
> Is this the best way to do it? Or are there better ways?

No that's the way to do it, a Cisco router does not act as a DNS server,
the above configuration is only for the DNS resolver on the router.

--
Jesper Skriver, CCIE #5456, FreeBSD committer

Aaron Leonard

~
~ > I've already written about my router and the ICMP problem, but I have
~ > one other query:
~ >
[...]

Sounds like C.S. wants the "DNS Spoofing" feature which is found in
12.3(2)T. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...2/gtdnsspf.htm

Aaron