Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox - synchronising favourites

Firefox - synchronising favourites

DavidM

What's the best way of synchronising the favourites list between my PC,
and laptop so that links I add on each can be used on the other.

A procedure that could be semi automated and linked to a desktop
shortcut would be great. I have a network connected drive that I can
use to "transfer" files.

Any advice much appreciated.
David

gwtc

DavidM wrote:

> What's the best way of synchronising the favourites list between my PC,
> and laptop so that links I add on each can be used on the other.
>
> A procedure that could be semi automated and linked to a desktop
> shortcut would be great. I have a network connected drive that I can
> use to "transfer" files.
>
> Any advice much appreciated.
> David

First of all, in the world of Mozilla, there's not such thing as
favourites. That's an MS thing. In Moz, they're called bookmarks.

since the laptop and the pc are connected, here's what I would do.
Create a new directory called Firefox Bookmarks. Then place the
bookmarks.html file in it. Bookmarks.html is the file that contains
all your bookmarks. Now, in the address bar of the pc type in
about:config and look for the entry of:

browser.bookmarks.file

double click on it and change the entry to the location of your
bookmark file. Now, do the same to the laptop. There. You're done.
Now you have one file for both.

If you don't have that entry, then click on any entry, right click and
select New, String, and in the first box, enter the line above and in
the second, point to the location of the file.

To find the bookmark file: Open the Bookmark Manager [from
Bookmarks], click on File, Export, and export that file to the new
directory.

--
You know you need a new housekeeper when: they keep looking nervously
at the TV and asking if you're planning to watch America's Most Wanted.

mike555

=== install the "FoxMarks " extension into Firefox (both
Firefoxes)........... http://www.foxcloud.com/wiki/Main_Page
=============

Ralph Fox

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 10:43:18 GMT, in message <aVTgg.3597$(E-Mail Removed)>,
DavidM wrote:

> What's the best way of synchronising the favourites list between my PC,
> and laptop so that links I add on each can be used on the other.
>
> A procedure that could be semi automated and linked to a desktop
> shortcut would be great. I have a network connected drive that I can
> use to "transfer" files.
>
> Any advice much appreciated.
> David

I haven't tried the "Google Browser Sync" extension yet,
but from its description it appears that it might meet
your needs.
http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/...ync/index.html

--
Cheers,
Ralph

"Curiosity skilled the cat."

Synchronising FF and IE bookmarks Bobby Firefox 1 12-17-2005 12:12 AM
Synchronising Reset APP Note Benjamin Todd VHDL 2 08-08-2005 12:52 PM
Synchronising on Class sks Java 1 05-19-2004 10:39 AM
synchronising 2 3550's (1 in use and 1 as "backup") Scott Millington Cisco 5 01-20-2004 02:25 AM
can synchronising newsgroup be dangerous David Graham HTML 6 10-11-2003 08:42 PM

Advertisments