Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > IP Address

IP Address

Giuseppe Puccini

Is there any way to prevent browser from revealing my IP address to
every site visited? I tried including it in Norton's private
information list which presumably alerts you when going out, but it
does'nt work. I'm not technically oriented, so any solution would
have to be simple. Thanks for any help.

Solbu

Colonel Flagg

In article <2Cffb.27747$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> On fredag 3. oktober 2003, 16:15 Giuseppe Puccini tried to express an opinion:
>
> > Is there any way to prevent browser from revealing my IP address to
> > every site visited?

> No. That is not posible in any way what so ever.

You're incorrect. You may use a proxy service. There's many free proxies
out there, which are, at best, unstable.

You may choose to purchase an account with someone like www.cotse.net,
which I highly recommend.

> The reason is that when you connect to the site,
> the server get a call from the IP adress you have, asking for a webpage.
> It need the IP to know what computer to send the page back to.

Again, misinformation. Proxies will hide your IP address.

> It's like your postal adress.
> The mail and packages needs an adress to be sendt to.

This is correct. The proxy will act as an intermediary between you and
the website. Again, www.cotse.net does a wonderful job of this.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."

The Saint

Giuseppe Puccini wrote:

>Is there any way to prevent browser from revealing my IP address to
>every site visited? I tried including it in Norton's private
>information list which presumably alerts you when going out, but it
>does'nt work. I'm not technically oriented, so any solution would
>have to be simple. Thanks for any help.

Yes. Visit http://www.cotse.net/servicedetails.html

Colonel Flagg

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Is there any way to prevent browser from revealing my IP address to
> every site visited? I tried including it in Norton's private
> information list which presumably alerts you when going out, but it
> does'nt work. I'm not technically oriented, so any solution would
> have to be simple. Thanks for any help.

Use a proxy.

As stated in my other post, there's many free proxies available, however
they're unstable. I've found it best to go ahead and get a stable and
honest service such as www.cotse.net.

This will hide you from the websites gathering your IP address and other
information, such as the browser you're using, etc.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."

kroesjnov

Solbu wrote:
> The reason is that when you connect to the site,
> the server get a call from the IP adress you have, asking for a
> webpage.
> It need the IP to know what computer to send the page back to.

Indeed, so the only solution would be using a proxy, which acts as a
go-between so that the webserver will see the IP from the proxy, and not
your IP.

--
"Wisdom lies not in obtaining knowledge, but in using it in the right way"
- kroesjnov

http://www.securitydatabase.net
http://www.mostly-harmless.nl
http://www.outerbrains.nl
email: (E-Mail Removed)rnet (remove inter to reply)
UIN: 85685870
MSN: (E-Mail Removed)

kroesjnov

kroesjnov wrote:
> Indeed, so the only solution would be using a proxy, which acts as a
> go-between so that the webserver will see the IP from the proxy, and
> not your IP.

hmm, ng client did not display hte newest reply yet, sry for the double
answer.

--
"Wisdom lies not in obtaining knowledge, but in using it in the right way"
- kroesjnov

http://www.securitydatabase.net
http://www.mostly-harmless.nl
http://www.outerbrains.nl
email: (E-Mail Removed)rnet (remove inter to reply)
UIN: 85685870
MSN: (E-Mail Removed)

Giuseppe Puccini

> As stated in my other post, there's many free proxies available, however
> they're unstable. I've found it best to go ahead and get a stable and
> honest service such as www.cotse.net.
>
> This will hide you from the websites gathering your IP address and other
> information, such as the browser you're using, etc.

Thanks for replying. Would use of a service such as cotse appreciably
reduce your speed of download/surfing by having to go through 2
servers? Also do you know of comparisons between Cotse and
Anonymizer? Thanks for your help.

Colonel Flagg

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> > As stated in my other post, there's many free proxies available, however
> > they're unstable. I've found it best to go ahead and get a stable and
> > honest service such as www.cotse.net.
> >
> > This will hide you from the websites gathering your IP address and other
> > information, such as the browser you're using, etc.
> >

> Thanks for replying. Would use of a service such as cotse appreciably
> reduce your speed of download/surfing by having to go through 2
> servers? Also do you know of comparisons between Cotse and
> Anonymizer? Thanks for your help.

Your speed to normal web pages won't be dramatically decreased, however
your downloads of large files, such as zips, mpgs and such, you'll see a
difference if you're on a high speed internet account. Dialup, it won't
matter much.

Third party proxies will cause a speed decrease, such is life. However,
I use the Cotse Proxy for _all_ normal web site browsing, such as
reading the news, research, casual reading. When/if I need to download a
large file, I use a different browser not configured for the proxy and
download directly.

As for comparing Cotse to Anonymizer, there's no comparison. Cotse has
more email control including spam blocking, attachment blocking, 'per-
list' blocking, bayesian filtering, etc. Basically, Cotse Rocks!

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."

@micro$oft.com

Colonel Flagg wrote:
> In article <2Cffb.27747$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>On fredag 3. oktober 2003, 16:15 Giuseppe Puccini tried to express an opinion:
>>

>>>Is there any way to prevent browser from revealing my IP address to
>>>every site visited?

>>No. That is not posible in any way what so ever.
>>

> You're incorrect. You may use a proxy service. There's many free proxies
> out there, which are, at best, unstable.

I've got Squid going, it seems stable. I'm just learning about setting
up a proxy service with Apache. All the while I had it, and didn't
realize that it had mod_proxy included. I'll look thru that today, it'll
give me a good project for today. Then I can provide proxy services for
a couple of (trusted!) hosts, mainly for privacy's sake. But yes,
proxies allow you to go anonymous; there are some unsecured ones that
anyone can go thru. I have a list somewhere. With Squid, you can even
re-write the headers, if you so desire. So you may see,
HTTP User-Agent: Nintendo 64/0.01 (100% Compatible, CZ, MS-DOS 3.1)
or anything else!

--
- jayjwa 4 Spammers: mailto: (E-Mail Removed)