Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Mozilla FireBird

Mozilla FireBird

Damjan

Hello!

I'm wondering how secure is FireBird if i have enabled Java and JavaScript
and i'm surfing in WinXP OS?
IE sometimes in case, that are JavaScript and ActiveX enabled, run/instal
some applications/spyware. How is wiht that in FireBird?

And where have FireBird cache folder?

Tnx!

Greets

Torti Schlumpf

Damjan wrote:

> Hello!

Hi!

> I'm wondering how secure is FireBird if i have enabled Java and JavaScript
> and i'm surfing in WinXP OS?
> IE sometimes in case, that are JavaScript and ActiveX enabled, run/instal
> some applications/spyware.

IE doesn't use JavaScript - in IE it's JScript, a special Microsoft
variant. So you can't really compare it to JavaScript which once was
developed by Netscape. JavaSript is more secure than JScript.

And don't forget about VBScript, which is put together with JScript in
so called "Active Scripting". VBScript + JScript means on the one hand
many really existing and on the other hand many potential security holes.

Active X should be disabled in IE, too - that's right. Using ActiveX,
there can be installed any imaginable unwanted application.

> How is wiht that in FireBird?

Mozilla Firebird uses JScript and doesn't use any Active X.
Furthermore you can and should disable unrequested popup windows:

->Tools ->Options ->Web Features ->Block Popup Windows

Also have a look at:

->Tools ->Options ->Web Features ->Enable JavaScript ->Advanced

http://texturizer.net/firebird/tips.html#oth_cache
http://www.vorstrasse91.com/moztips/...aprofiles.html

--
Regards, Torti

Damjan

> IE doesn't use JavaScript - in IE it's JScript, a special Microsoft
> variant. So you can't really compare it to JavaScript which once was
> developed by Netscape. JavaSript is more secure than JScript.
>
> And don't forget about VBScript, which is put together with JScript in
> so called "Active Scripting". VBScript + JScript means on the one hand
> many really existing and on the other hand many potential security holes.
>
> Active X should be disabled in IE, too - that's right. Using ActiveX,
> there can be installed any imaginable unwanted application.
>
> > How is wiht that in FireBird?

> Mozilla Firebird uses JScript and doesn't use any Active X.
> Furthermore you can and should disable unrequested popup windows:
>
> ->Tools ->Options ->Web Features ->Block Popup Windows
>
> Also have a look at:
>
> ->Tools ->Options ->Web Features ->Enable JavaScript ->Advanced
>

> > And where have FireBird cache folder?

> http://texturizer.net/firebird/tips.html#oth_cache
> http://www.vorstrasse91.com/moztips/...aprofiles.html

Does FireBird use JScript or JavaScript or both?
And for background installations of some kind sypware and another crap is
guilty ActivX only then?

Tnx!
Greets

Torti Schlumpf

Damjan wrote:

> Does FireBird use JScript or JavaScript or both?

Oh sorry, it was *my* fault! Of course Firebird uses JavaScript, and
*not* JScript.

To make it clear:

Internet Explorer:
- JScript + VBScript = Active Scripting
- ActiveX

Firebird:
- JavaScript

> And for background installations of some kind sypware and another crap is
> guilty ActivX only then?

Not at all: Active Scripting allows e.g. to change the browser's home
page / search page and other nasty things.

The main reason why there's installed so much unwanted stuff using
Internet Explorer is: IE is deeply linked to operating system. So try to
use another browser like Firebird or Opera, if you're interested to
protect against such stuff.

--
Regards, Torti

Torti Schlumpf

Torti Schlumpf wrote:

> Mozilla Firebird uses JScript and doesn't use any Active X.

Correction:
Mozilla Firebird uses JavaScript and doesn't use any Active X.

--
Regards, Torti

Damjan

> Oh sorry, it was *my* fault! Of course Firebird uses JavaScript, and
> *not* JScript.

No problem man! Tnx for help and explanation!

Greets

Neowulf (Aaron VonDerheide)

<snip...>

> Active X should be disabled in IE, too - that's right. Using ActiveX,
> there can be installed any imaginable unwanted application.
>
>> How is wiht that in FireBird?

> Mozilla Firebird uses JScript and doesn't use any Active X.
> Furthermore you can and should disable unrequested popup windows:
>
> ->Tools ->Options ->Web Features ->Block Popup Windows
>
> Also have a look at:
>
> ->Tools ->Options ->Web Features ->Enable JavaScript ->Advanced

<snip>

> Internet Explorer:
> - JScript + VBScript = Active Scripting
> - ActiveX
>
> Firebird:
> - JavaScript
>
>> And for background installations of some kind sypware and another crap is
>> guilty ActivX only then?

> Not at all: Active Scripting allows e.g. to change the browser's home
> page / search page and other nasty things.
>
> The main reason why there's installed so much unwanted stuff using
> Internet Explorer is: IE is deeply linked to operating system. So try to
> use another browser like Firebird or Opera, if you're interested to
> protect against such stuff.

Can we add this stuff to the FAQ? I think it is a very valuable comment.

Aaron