Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > [SWEN tiny FAQ] How to filter out Swen emails with M$ Outlook Express

[SWEN tiny FAQ] How to filter out Swen emails with M$ Outlook Express

Thore Schmechtig

Greetings,

since Swen.A first appeared in the wild around September 18th 2003,
many people have asked how to filter the emails Swen wildly sends to
just about everyone who ever posted in any newsgroup. It's a bit
tricky, at first glance it seems impossible, but it can be done.

Here's how.

(NOTE: As I use the German version of OE 6, I had to re-translate the
names of menu items, options et cetera. I hope it's understandable...
if not, or if you want to help me improve this tiny FAQ, please email
me with your suggestions. Thank you)

Swen emails unfortunately differ in From-, To- and Subject-field, but
you will always find your own valid email-address in the
Envelope-to-field of the email's header. OE unfortunately is unable to
filter emails by the Envelope-to-content, but this doesn't matter. If
you read the above carefully you see that:

Every email that arrives in your inbox and does NOT have your valid
email address in the To- or CC-field is almost guaranteed to be a
Swen-mail (exceptions see below).

To filter them out, do the following (tested with OE 6, earlier
versions may need a slightly difficult process):

*** BEGIN ***

Open the email rules: Extras - Message Rules - Email

Create a new rule, setting the following characteristics:

To- or CC-Field does NOT contain your valid email address (to set the
NOT, you need to click on the Options-button in the box where you can
enter the address)

Action for all emails that fit the above: Delete from server

*** END ***

Presto - you're done! OE will still have to download the _header_ data,
but not the message body with its 150K worm executable. Ergo you have
much less problems.

NOTE THE FOLLOWING:

Mailing lists - at least all lists I know - use a very similar
procedure to send their contents to you, inserting your valid address
in the Envelope-to-field and the basic email address of the list in the
To-field, along with ususally adding a list-typical string to the
subject. Obviously this will create false positives with the
above-mentioned email rule that would delete the list messages along
with Swen.
Therefore, if you participate in mailing lists, I suggest you do the
following:

*** BEGIN ***

If you haven't done so until now, create an extra folder for each of
your lists.

Create one email rule for each of your lists with the following:

Subject contains the list-typical string, To-field contains the basic
list email address
Actions to take: Move to the folder created for that list, do not
process any more rules for that mail.

Move all these rules to somewhere ABOVE the rule that deletes
Swen-mails from the server.

*** END ***

That way, your mailing list messages will be moved to their own folders
while the pesky Swen mails will die while still on your provider's
server.

Hope to have helped...

Tocis (commoner AT carcosa DOT de)
To reply, include HI-AK 523 in the subject or else your mail will be
deleted!

Shaun Campbell

I know it may be slightly off topic but my Outlook Express won't delete from
server although I have the option selected on my rule. I know the rule is
correct and working because it can move the emails to other folders, or even
delete it locally, but it won't delete from the server.

Anybody know could be causing it?

Thanks

Shaun

"Thore Schmechtig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bkrd9s$530gk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> [...]
>

> *** BEGIN ***
>

> If you haven't done so until now, create an extra folder for each of
> your lists.
>
> Create one email rule for each of your lists with the following:
>
> Subject contains the list-typical string, To-field contains the basic
> list email address
> Actions to take: Move to the folder created for that list, do not
> process any more rules for that mail.
>
> Move all these rules to somewhere ABOVE the rule that deletes
> Swen-mails from the server.
>

> *** END ***
>

> That way, your mailing list messages will be moved to their own folders
> while the pesky Swen mails will die while still on your provider's
> server.
>
> Hope to have helped...
>
> Tocis (commoner AT carcosa DOT de)
> To reply, include HI-AK 523 in the subject or else your mail will be

Indigo Moon Man

Shaun Campbell <(E-Mail Removed)> spake thusly:
> I know it may be slightly off topic but my Outlook Express won't delete
> from server although I have the option selected on my rule. I know the
> rule is correct and working because it can move the emails to other
> folders, or even delete it locally, but it won't delete from the server.
>
> Anybody know could be causing it?

I'm not sure what could be causing it but I followed his instructions and
it's working for me. Are you sure you selected 'Delete From Server' and not
just 'Delete'?

--
Audio Bible Online:
http://www.audio-bible.com/

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Franke?=

"Thore Schmechtig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote before:

>Greetings,
>
>since Swen.A first appeared in the wild around September 18th 2003,
>many people have asked how to filter the emails Swen wildly sends to
>just about everyone who ever posted in any newsgroup. It's a bit
>tricky, at first glance it seems impossible, but it can be done.

Hmm, well, I'm using Pegasus Mail and I use the following rules in my
pop3.pnp :

|pop3
|If expression both matches "*cumulative patch*" DeleteOnServer ""
|If expression both matches "*cumulative patch*" Exit ""
|If expression both matches "*undeliver*" DeleteOnServer ""
|If expression both matches "*undeliver*" Exit ""

where *both* means Header OR Body (body scanned 10 lines deep) and
DeleteOnServer means exactly what it seems to be meaning. The "" is
just a placeholder.
That rule set saved me from abou 12,000 mails so far while the wanted
mail along with some "replies" from "friendly" and "helpful"
mailserver admins.

regards
André

OysterCracker

Thanks, Thore - I dropped in lookin' for a suggestion just like this one. So
far, it's working great. One question... I get emails from my website to a
number of different email addresses - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
(E-Mail Removed), etc. - Will OE accept wild cards, ie. *@mywebsite.com
or something similar?

> [...]
>

> *** BEGIN ***
>

> If you haven't done so until now, create an extra folder for each of
> your lists.
>
> Create one email rule for each of your lists with the following:
>
> Subject contains the list-typical string, To-field contains the basic
> list email address
> Actions to take: Move to the folder created for that list, do not
> process any more rules for that mail.
>
> Move all these rules to somewhere ABOVE the rule that deletes
> Swen-mails from the server.
>

> *** END ***
>

> That way, your mailing list messages will be moved to their own folders
> while the pesky Swen mails will die while still on your provider's
> server.
>
> Hope to have helped...
>
> Tocis (commoner AT carcosa DOT de)
> To reply, include HI-AK 523 in the subject or else your mail will be

Thore Schmechtig

Hi,

> Thanks, Thore - I dropped in lookin' for a suggestion just like this one. So
> far, it's working great. One question... I get emails from my website to a
> number of different email addresses - (E-Mail Removed),
> (E-Mail Removed), etc. - Will OE accept wild cards, ie. *@mywebsite.com
> or something similar?

Interesting question - never had to think about it. When in doubt, try
it out For testing, create a rule that does not delete, but just
move into a special folder. Let this run for some time and see if it
catches what you want it to catch

--
Bye

Tocis (commoner AT carcosa DOT de)
Include HI-AK 523 in the subject or your email will be deleted!

Derek F

"Thore Schmechtig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bku5ct$5v8i4$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Hi,
>
> > Thanks, Thore - I dropped in lookin' for a suggestion just like this

one. So
> > far, it's working great. One question... I get emails from my website to

> > number of different email addresses - (E-Mail Removed),
> > (E-Mail Removed), etc. - Will OE accept wild cards, ie.

*@mywebsite.com
> > or something similar?

> Interesting question - never had to think about it. When in doubt, try
> it out For testing, create a rule that does not delete, but just
> move into a special folder. Let this run for some time and see if it
> catches what you want it to catch
>

> --
> Bye
>
> Tocis (commoner AT carcosa DOT de)
> Include HI-AK 523 in the subject or your email will be deleted!

I directed the E-mails without my address into my deleted items folder in
both OE 6 and Microsft Outlook. My only problem is that it is putting my
wifes mail into the deleted folder as well, how do I get round that?
Derek.

Thore Schmechtig

Hi,

> I directed the E-mails without my address into my deleted items folder in
> both OE 6 and Microsft Outlook. My only problem is that it is putting my
> wifes mail into the deleted folder as well, how do I get round that?

Quite simple... edit the "delete Swen mails" rule to add your wife's
email address to the list of recipients - meaning, the rule has do say
"If to- and CC-field contain NEITHER husband at bla.bla NOR wife at
bla.bla then delete it".

--
Bye

Tocis (commoner AT carcosa DOT de)
Include HI-AK 523 in the subject or your email will be deleted!

wayneBR

"Shaun Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> [...]
>>

>> *** BEGIN ***
>>

>> If you haven't done so until now, create an extra folder for each of
>> your lists.
>>
>> Create one email rule for each of your lists with the following:
>>
>> Subject contains the list-typical string, To-field contains the basic
>> list email address
>> Actions to take: Move to the folder created for that list, do not
>> process any more rules for that mail.
>>
>> Move all these rules to somewhere ABOVE the rule that deletes
>> Swen-mails from the server.
>>

>> *** END ***
>>

>> That way, your mailing list messages will be moved to their own
>> folders while the pesky Swen mails will die while still on your
>> provider's server.
>>
>> Hope to have helped...
>>
>> Tocis (commoner AT carcosa DOT de)
>> To reply, include HI-AK 523 in the subject or else your mail will be

To use the "delete from server" rule, the rule must be rule number 1, at
the top of the list. If it comes after rule 1, the rule will not work.

Thore Schmechtig

Hi,

> To use the "delete from server" rule, the rule must be rule number 1, at
> the top of the list. If it comes after rule 1, the rule will not work.

Untrue (as far as I can tell). I have 5 active email rules, with the
Anti-Swen rule being the last of them - and it works wonderfully.

Perhaps you are actually referring to some earlier M$OE version?

--
Bye