Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > How To Deal With The Microsoft Scam

How To Deal With The Microsoft Scam

Tom

I thought I was the only one getting those damn MS Update and Patch emails.
From the post of this morning it would appear that I am not. They're coming
to me at the rate of one every 3 minutes and they're clogging up my mail
box.

I'm patient guy and am willing to put with a lot in the interest of keeping
the internet free and unregulated but this is getting totally out of out of
hand.

Does anyone know of a way of dealing with this nonsense?

Bit Twister

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:46:23 GMT, Tom wrote:
> I thought I was the only one getting those damn MS Update and Patch emails.
> From the post of this morning it would appear that I am not. They're coming
> to me at the rate of one every 3 minutes and they're clogging up my mail
> box.
>
> I'm patient guy and am willing to put with a lot in the interest of keeping
> the internet free and unregulated but this is getting totally out of out of
> hand.
>
> Does anyone know of a way of dealing with this nonsense?

Never post your email address to usenet.
Tell everyone you give your email address to, to never put it in their
address book and put email address into a ascii file instead.
Never pick an email address you can find with a search engine.

Lord Shaolin

"Bit Twister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tell everyone you give your email address to, to never put it in their
> address book and put email address into a ascii file instead.

Most of these viruses now grep the hard-drive for files containing e-mail
addresses..

--

-+ Shaolin +-
Discard what is useless, absorb what is not and

.: http://www.security-forums.com :.

Dave Baker

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:46:23 GMT, "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anyone know of a way of dealing with this nonsense?

I'm deleting everything that is between 143 & 161 kbits in size. (size given
by Pegasus) Seems to take care of 95% of it - got 214 in the last 2 hours!

Dave

Pedro Matos Rito

I use hotmail for Usenet... i've set a rule to delete all emails that's
hadn't my email in the TO: or CC: field....
Apparently this MS trash uses lists and isn't addressed personaly to you, so
if you do something like that with a remote pop3 explorer you can get the
same results...
set email rules to handle mail and hopefully u'll get rid of it.

Pedro

news:jxFab.117$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I thought I was the only one getting those damn MS Update and Patch

emails.
> From the post of this morning it would appear that I am not. They're

coming
> to me at the rate of one every 3 minutes and they're clogging up my mail
> box.
>
> I'm patient guy and am willing to put with a lot in the interest of

keeping
> the internet free and unregulated but this is getting totally out of out

of
> hand.
>
> Does anyone know of a way of dealing with this nonsense?

Fred_McGriff

> > I thought I was the only one getting those damn MS Update and Patch
emails.
> > From the post of this morning it would appear that I am not. They're

coming
> > to me at the rate of one every 3 minutes and they're clogging up my mail
> > box.
> >
> > I'm patient guy and am willing to put with a lot in the interest of

keeping
> > the internet free and unregulated but this is getting totally out of

out of
> > hand.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a way of dealing with this nonsense?

> Never post your email address to usenet.
> Tell everyone you give your email address to, to never put it in their
> address book and put email address into a ascii file instead.
> Never pick an email address you can find with a search engine.

That is not going to solve the problem. As mentioned by other viruses
harvest email address from the hard drives of victyims and forge the email
headers so as not to give away the location of the infected computer.
We are seeing the things come in. But, they do not get past our email
server. There are servers available which can be set up to collect your mail
from POP3 accounts and to which you can then apply filtering rules. There
are also open source perl based products which act as proxy servers -- DSPAM
is one.
As to point about a free internet -- this type of activity is specifically
outlawed in virtually every country. At this moment, the FBI in the United
States and law enforcement agencies in other countries are tracking down the
indvidual(s) responsible and once caught, those people will go to prison.
These problems have nothing to do with the internet being free and/or
unregulated. They are the product of criminal minds and those are present in
all areas and fecets of all societies.