Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > IGMP? Please help im freaked!

IGMP? Please help im freaked!

darko

can some one please explain to me whats going on. my firewall keeps
giving me different errors like these, over 100 of them...

McAfee Firewall blocked an outgoing IP packet. The IP protocol type
was 2 [IGMP]. The remote address associated with the traffic was
67.31.193.210. The network adapter for the traffic was "WAN Miniport
(IP)".

The binary data contained in the packet was "3c 9f 20 ..... ".
McAfee Firewall alerted on outbound nonstandard IP system traffic. The
traffic was blocked by the existing settings for adapter WAN Miniport
(IP). The IP protocol type was 2 [IGMP].
McAfee Firewall blocked an incoming TCP packet. The remote address
associated with the traffic was 78.160.765.111. The remote port was
2476. The local port on your PC was 135. The network adapter for the
traffic was "WAN Miniport (IP)

thanks for any explanations...

Florian Reitmeir

Hi,

> can some one please explain to me whats going on. my firewall keeps
> giving me different errors like these, over 100 of them...
>
> McAfee Firewall blocked an outgoing IP packet. The IP protocol type
> was 2 [IGMP]. The remote address associated with the traffic was
> 67.31.193.210. The network adapter for the traffic was "WAN Miniport
> (IP)".
>
> The binary data contained in the packet was "3c 9f 20 ..... ".

why do you use a program which output you don't understand ?

> thanks for any explanations...

If you really interessted in an explanation ask Symantec, they should know
what they are blocking.

btw.
IGMP, is Protocol like TCP/UCP/ICMP, it is used for Multicast. So it looks
like a Program from you most likely MediaPlayer or RealPlayer tried to get
a Videostream from Internet and your Firewall blocked the access.

cu Florian

Colonel Kernel@sys32.com

On 7-Sep-2003, Florian Reitmeir <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you really interessted in an explanation ask Symantec, they should know
> what they are blocking.

Teeny tiny faux pas. I think you meant to say to ask McAfee.

Florian Reitmeir

Hi,

Colonel http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 7-Sep-2003, Florian Reitmeir <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> If you really interessted in an explanation ask Symantec, they should
>> know what they are blocking.

> Teeny tiny faux pas. I think you meant to say to ask McAfee.

oh, its all the same to me.. many alert boxes, and hacker protections, but
cannot test which patches are needed for windows to make it safer.

cu Florian

darko

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 15:17:02 +0200, Florian Reitmeir <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>why do you use a program which output you don't understand ?

the firewall is new im still trying to figure it out... is that what u
mean?

>btw.
>IGMP, is Protocol like TCP/UCP/ICMP, it is used for Multicast. So it looks
>like a Program from you most likely MediaPlayer or RealPlayer tried to get
>a Videostream from Internet and your Firewall blocked the access.
>
>cu Florian

as soon as i connect i get constant logs their not from realplayer or
media player.. is it possible that its a virus or a hacker if im
getting these messages when my connection is sitting idle?

mto

"darko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 15:17:02 +0200, Florian Reitmeir <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >why do you use a program which output you don't understand ?
> >

> the firewall is new im still trying to figure it out... is that what u
> mean?
>
> >btw.
> >IGMP, is Protocol like TCP/UCP/ICMP, it is used for Multicast. So it

looks
> >like a Program from you most likely MediaPlayer or RealPlayer tried to

get
> >a Videostream from Internet and your Firewall blocked the access.
> >
> >cu Florian

> as soon as i connect i get constant logs their not from realplayer or
> media player.. is it possible that its a virus or a hacker if im
> getting these messages when my connection is sitting idle?

Oh, my. First, read the manual that you got with the program - thoroughly.
Twice.

Second, relax. The standard settings on most firewalls are set to be "good
enough for now" while you learn to use the program. You can tweak them once
you have a clue what you're doing and what might work for you.

Outgoing means something on your machine is trying to connect to somewhere
else. You didn't mention what OS you are running, so it is hard to guess
what might be the problem. If you didn't do so before you installed the
firewall, I would strongly suggest that you download the free version of
AdAware http://www.lavasoft.de/
and Spybot Search & Destroy (also free) http://www.safer-networking.org/
and clean your machine of the malware that it is likely infested with. **Be
sure to update both of those before you run them - and while you are at it
check your firewall program for an update too.**

Incoming means something outside your machine is trying to access it. Port
135 is one of the ports that Blaster uses. The firewall blocked the
traffic, so it is doing its job.

Alerts tell you that the firewall is doing what it is supposed to do. Worry
when you *don't* see them rather than when you do.