Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Uploading Advice

Uploading Advice

Tommy Glassford

I don't know if your newsgroup can help me, if not then please accept my
sincerest apologies and there's no need to read further.

I've had all sorts of problems with my pc which I'll not bore you with
because I think/feel that I've got the thing at least talking to me with a
civil tongue in its head. The reason for my writing and mentioning the above
is that I have a web site which I created using Microsoft FrontPage and I'm
finding it impossible to upload. The site is simple text, no heavy duty
graphics because it's a catalogue of some twenty odd years of writing
lyrics. I've tried various FTP programs and failed in various ways which I
can nolonger remember. I installed Windows XP Pro and I got the evaluation
pack of WS_FTP Pro; still no joy.

I've tried all versions of the address, the ISP I've tried to upload to is
Dabsol. I've tried their support which is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), but after over
a month of sending them emails I gave up on that ISP and tried the ISP
Virgin. That failed as well but their support gave me an immediate reply
which advised the upload address being upload.virgin.net, I still didn't get
anywhere and so I am now doing my Sherlock and dedusing that it's a problem
either with the software (I'm asking Ipswitch for their advice) or this damn
pc.

The host address for Dabsol is www.thelyrics.dabsol.net, the user ID is
'thelyrics', and I use my password. Now the user ID and the password must be
correct because I'm able to gain access to the ISP and my mail etc. But the
error messages that come back are 'connect failure' or 'Login Error'.

I mean the computer might not be state of the art but it's a 1.33 GHz Athlon
processor with 128MB of RAM, and it is so slow you wouldn't believe. I would
sincerely and seriously welcome someone getting back to me out there and
helping me before I go out the window before this damn computer does. My
email address is (E-Mail Removed).

Failing that, thanks anyway for reading.

Jim Watt

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 16:31:53 +0100, "Tommy Glassford"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't know if your newsgroup can help me, if not then please accept my
>sincerest apologies and there's no need to read further.
>
>I've had all sorts of problems with my pc which I'll not bore you with
>because I think/feel that I've got the thing at least talking to me with a
>civil tongue in its head. The reason for my writing and mentioning the above
>is that I have a web site which I created using Microsoft FrontPage and I'm
>finding it impossible to upload. The site is simple text, no heavy duty
>graphics because it's a catalogue of some twenty odd years of writing
>lyrics. I've tried various FTP programs and failed in various ways which I
>can nolonger remember. I installed Windows XP Pro and I got the evaluation
>pack of WS_FTP Pro; still no joy.
>
>I've tried all versions of the address, the ISP I've tried to upload to is
>Dabsol. I've tried their support which is (E-Mail Removed), but after over
>a month of sending them emails I gave up on that ISP and tried the ISP
>Virgin. That failed as well but their support gave me an immediate reply
>which advised the upload address being upload.virgin.net, I still didn't get
>anywhere and so I am now doing my Sherlock and dedusing that it's a problem
>either with the software (I'm asking Ipswitch for their advice) or this damn
>pc.
>
>The host address for Dabsol is www.thelyrics.dabsol.net, the user ID is
>'thelyrics', and I use my password. Now the user ID and the password must be
>correct because I'm able to gain access to the ISP and my mail etc. But the
>error messages that come back are 'connect failure' or 'Login Error'.
>
>I mean the computer might not be state of the art but it's a 1.33 GHz Athlon
>processor with 128MB of RAM, and it is so slow you wouldn't believe. I would
>sincerely and seriously welcome someone getting back to me out there and
>helping me before I go out the window before this damn computer does. My
>email address is (E-Mail Removed).
>
>Failing that, thanks anyway for reading.

Posting your email address to any news group these days is
likely to result in a deluge of junkmail and is inadvisable.

That is the security advice, after all this group is about security
and not about creating and maintaining websites.

FTP does seem to cause people problems, although It
generally works well for me. WS_FTP in its various incarnations
seems to be a solid, reliable well featured product.

However, you may find something like leech FTP more
basic and easier for a beginner.

http://stud.fh-heilbronn.de/~jdebis/leechftp/

To get a FTP program going you need to have three
bits of information which your ISP can tell you

the address to ftp to eg: ftp.mysite.com
your user id eg: tommy
the FTP password eg: ww45gf

That should allow you to access your website. Different hosting
providers structure things differently so your HTML root directory
the place where it all starts, may be where you enter or there
might be a directory shown called www or htdocs or something
similar where your website actually begins. Again your hosting
provider can tell you this because they know.

Once you have mastered how to access your website by FTP
You need to upload a file called index.htm or index.html which is
the default page that web servers look for to display.

After that part is done, the rest is just a matter of working at it.

Your computer is more than fast enough, indeed I created
my first websites using a 33mhz 486.

Perhaps you should write a song about the joys of XP FTP
and notworking computers.
--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com