Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Privacy question

Privacy question

Nanny

I have no idea if I'm asking this on the right newsgroup, but maybe someone
here can at least help me on my way.......
I sometimes visit a site which has added a statistics page, where the name
of my provider and even the town where I live is visible in the visitors
list. Is there a way to prevent that ?

--
Nanny

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Stephen K. Gielda

In article <3f58e6d8$0$28903$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I have no idea if I'm asking this on the right newsgroup, but maybe someone
> here can at least help me on my way.......
> I sometimes visit a site which has added a statistics page, where the name
> of my provider and even the town where I live is visible in the visitors
> list. Is there a way to prevent that ?

yes, use a anon proxy. There are a number of free ones and a number of
pay services designed to help you take back your privacy.

/steve
--
Check out Cotse's Privacy Watch.
A comprehensive information resource.

Leythos

In article <3f58e6d8$0$28903$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I have no idea if I'm asking this on the right newsgroup, but maybe someone
> here can at least help me on my way.......
> I sometimes visit a site which has added a statistics page, where the name
> of my provider and even the town where I live is visible in the visitors
> list. Is there a way to prevent that ?

Unless you run your traffic through a third-party provider (bounce it
around the net before it goes where you want) there is no way to really
hide it. In most cases, your IP identifies your geographical location
because it identifies your providers IP range and information.

There is not much to worry about unless you are doing something illegal
or immoral (and it bothers you).

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Nanny

It's not illegal or immoral I just don't want the owner of the weblog
I'm reading to know that I'm reading it, and as that stupid stat page even
gives my town, that owner knows for certain that I'm reading. What I don't
understand is that there are more people reading with the same provider, and
I'm the only one where the name of the town is also given.

--
Nanny

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

"Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <3f58e6d8$0$28903$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > I have no idea if I'm asking this on the right newsgroup, but maybe

someone
> > here can at least help me on my way.......
> > I sometimes visit a site which has added a statistics page, where the

name
> > of my provider and even the town where I live is visible in the visitors
> > list. Is there a way to prevent that ?

> Unless you run your traffic through a third-party provider (bounce it
> around the net before it goes where you want) there is no way to really
> hide it. In most cases, your IP identifies your geographical location
> because it identifies your providers IP range and information.
>
> There is not much to worry about unless you are doing something illegal
> or immoral (and it bothers you).

> (E-Mail Removed)
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

Nanny

Well, after searching for a long time, I've found http://www.megaproxy.com/
that allows me to surf anonymously with cookies enabled (I needed that for
the site I wanted to go to). He must be surprised that the log is read by
people from the US (I'm not in the US)..........