Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Where is "Security And Settings"?

Re: Where is "Security And Settings"?

Vance Roos

"Tom Porterfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> As administrator on my XP Pro system, I used to right click a
>> file on my desktop and in the context menu which popped upI
>> could select "Security and Settings" for that file.
>>
>> That no longer seems to happen. Have I done something to
>> remove it?
>>
>> How can I access security settings for individual files?

> You have probably turned on simple file sharing.

Ah yes, I remember this now. Someone said it made for better
security to prevent outsiders (my PC is a home based system with
dialup) from intruding.

Is this going to be more likely with Simple File Sahring switched
back on?

> To turn this
> back off open Explorer and select Tools, Folder Options. On the
> View tab scroll down to the bottom of the list of advanced
> settings. Remove the check from "Use simple file sharing
> (Recommended)" and click Apply. Once that is done, when you
> right click on a file and select Properties you will see the
> Security tab there.

rifleman

In article <93EBB1F17747D471AE@195.92.193.157>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> "Tom Porterfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >> As administrator on my XP Pro system, I used to right click a
> >> file on my desktop and in the context menu which popped upI
> >> could select "Security and Settings" for that file.
> >>
> >> That no longer seems to happen. Have I done something to
> >> remove it?
> >>
> >> How can I access security settings for individual files?

> > You have probably turned on simple file sharing.

> Ah yes, I remember this now. Someone said it made for better
> security to prevent outsiders (my PC is a home based system with
> dialup) from intruding.
>
> Is this going to be more likely with Simple File Sahring switched
> back on?

Not if you run a good firewall, which you should be doing anyway, not
least of all to protect yourself against things like the Blaster Worm.

> > To turn this
> > back off open Explorer and select Tools, Folder Options. On the
> > View tab scroll down to the bottom of the list of advanced
> > settings. Remove the check from "Use simple file sharing
> > (Recommended)" and click Apply. Once that is done, when you
> > right click on a file and select Properties you will see the
> > Security tab there.

Tom Porterfield

Vance Roos wrote:

> Ah yes, I remember this now. Someone said it made for better
> security to prevent outsiders (my PC is a home based system with
> dialup) from intruding.
>
> Is this going to be more likely with Simple File Sahring switched
> back on?

No. The simple file sharing check has no impact on how hard or easy it
is for someone to hack into your PC from the outside. It simply
controls where and how you can set security on your files and folders.

Now if you turn off simple file sharing and then go and share a bunch
of your folders, giving everyone full control, then you have opened
your system for exploit. But that was due to your subsequent action of
setting poor security/sharing settings on your folders, not
specifically just because you turned on or off simple file sharing.

--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows XP & Smart Display

Please post all follows to the newsgroup only

Vance Roos

"Tom Porterfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Ah yes, I remember this now. Someone said it made for better
>> security to prevent outsiders (my PC is a home based system
>> with dialup) from intruding.
>>
>> Is this going to be more likely with Simple File Sahring
>> switched back on?

> No. The simple file sharing check has no impact on how hard or
> easy it is for someone to hack into your PC from the outside.
> It simply controls where and how you can set security on your
> files and folders.
>
> Now if you turn off simple file sharing and then go and share a
> bunch of your folders, giving everyone full control, then you
> have opened your system for exploit. But that was due to your
> subsequent action of setting poor security/sharing settings on
> your folders, not specifically just because you turned on or off
> simple file sharing.

I don't want to be foolish in how I use XP file sharing but in fact
when I create a file I might well want everyone else registered as a
user on my XP system (it is a standalone PC with multiple users) to
have access to it.

How can I do this most easily without permitting others outside of my
PC gaining access via the Net?

Mimic

"Vance Roos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Tom Porterfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >> As administrator on my XP Pro system, I used to right click a
> >> file on my desktop and in the context menu which popped upI
> >> could select "Security and Settings" for that file.
> >>
> >> That no longer seems to happen. Have I done something to
> >> remove it?
> >>
> >> How can I access security settings for individual files?

> > You have probably turned on simple file sharing.

> Ah yes, I remember this now. Someone said it made for better
> security to prevent outsiders (my PC is a home based system with
> dialup) from intruding.
>
> Is this going to be more likely with Simple File Sahring switched
> back on?

Just run a decent firewall and most of all make sure that File and Print
sharing isnt bound to your modem. If youre on a network, it should be bound
to the network card only.

--
Mimic

and those that dont."

Mimic

"Vance Roos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Is this going to be more likely with Simple File Sahring switched
> back on?

Note : my bad, i missread Simple File Sharing as File and Print Sharing.

--
Mimic

and those that dont."

Tom Porterfield

Vance Roos wrote:

> I don't want to be foolish in how I use XP file sharing but in fact
> when I create a file I might well want everyone else registered as a
> user on my XP system (it is a standalone PC with multiple users) to
> have access to it.
>
> How can I do this most easily without permitting others outside of my
> PC gaining access via the Net?

The easiest way is to use the shared document folder already in XP.
That's exactly what it's there for. Unless you've chosen to protect
the files in your profile directory, everyone on the machine will have
access to the files. Additionally unless you open folder shares to the
world, granting everyone access to files still means they have to be on
your machine to access the file.