Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > IE Window popups

IE Window popups

Pierre

Hi folks,

Can someone recommend an easy to use popup blocker. Every time I use the
Internet it's like watching fireworks. I spend 5 minutes trying to close
down all the windows that popup.

Much appreciated,

Pierre

Twisted

On Monday 01 September 2003 07:03 am Pierre spaketh thusly unto the
masses gathered in alt.computer.security:

> Hi folks,
>
> Can someone recommend an easy to use popup blocker. Every time I use
> the
> Internet it's like watching fireworks. I spend 5 minutes trying to
> close down all the windows that popup.
>
> Much appreciated,
>
> Pierre

Try Mozilla instead of OE. It has a built in popup blocker.

--
Twisted
Registered Linux user # 323911. http://counter.li.org

Frode

mto

"Pierre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HwG4b.309$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks,
>
> Can someone recommend an easy to use popup blocker. Every time I use the
> Internet it's like watching fireworks. I spend 5 minutes trying to close
> down all the windows that popup.
>
> Much appreciated,
>
> Pierre

Personally I much appreciate the total ad blocking features of Zone Alarm
Pro - 30 day trial, http://www.zonelabs.com

Also, get AdAware (free version) and Spybot Search & Destroy - Frode gave
you the URLs for those. Both free. Don't forget to immediately update both
of them and use the Immunize function in Spybot.

Lord Shaolin

"Pierre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HwG4b.309$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks,
>
> Can someone recommend an easy to use popup blocker. Every time I use the
> Internet it's like watching fireworks. I spend 5 minutes trying to close
> down all the windows that popup.
>
> Much appreciated,
>
> Pierre

http://toolbar.google.com/

It's the r0x0r

--

-+ Shaolin +-
Discard what is useless, absorb what is not and

.: http://www.security-forums.com :.

Mimic

"Pierre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HwG4b.309$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks,
>
> Can someone recommend an easy to use popup blocker. Every time I use the
> Internet it's like watching fireworks. I spend 5 minutes trying to close
> down all the windows that popup.
>
> Much appreciated,
>
> Pierre

You also could add the common sites (qksrv.com ?) to a block list

--
Mimic

and those that dont."

PJ. Scott

http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/Support.htm

"Frode" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

YoKenny

Pierre wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Can someone recommend an easy to use popup blocker. Every time I use
> the Internet it's like watching fireworks. I spend 5 minutes trying
> to close down all the windows that popup.
>
> Much appreciated,
>
> Pierre

Blocking Unwanted Ads with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Has the advantage of speeding up your Internet connection because the popups
are not even requested.

siljaline

"Pierre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Can someone recommend an easy to use popup blocker. Every time I use the
> Internet it's like watching fireworks. I spend 5 minutes trying to close
> down all the windows that popup.
>
> Much appreciated,
>
> Pierre

Use HOSTS to block unwanted ads and malicious sites from loading.
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
A plain vanilla popup stopper blocks, plain vanilla popups.
http://www.panicware.com/product_psfree.html
AdShield as part of your protection.
http://ftp.ural.ru/home/index/window...utils/AdShield
Use this block list http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/block.zip

If you fear a popup has installed Spyware via a drive-by Browser Helper
Object install - you need serious action.

As follows,
Spyware Removal Tools, Lavasoft's "Ad-aware",
Direct download -
http://ftp.pcworld.com/pub/new/priva...ty/aaw6181.exe

Lavasoft/Ad-aware home: http://www.lavasoftusa.com
Mirror site: http://www.lavasoft.de/

*Also* install and run SpyBot Search & Destroy,
Direct download -
http://spybot.eon.net.au/files/spybotsd_mainapp.exe

SpyBot home: http://security.kolla.de/
SpyBot How-To: http://www.tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/
More detailed help: http://tomcoyote.org/~mosaic1/spybot/
Support Forum, http://net-integration.net/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi
Navigate to the SpyBot S&D section.

Install, reboot, read FAQ and overview, use online
update feature to obtain the latest reference files,
scan for Spyware much like you would with your
pre-installed anti-virus scanner.
Rid your machine of unwanted Spyware pests.

Actions you can take from further events happening
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware.
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

HTH

--

siljaline

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

David Norris

"Pierre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HwG4b.309$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks,
>
> Can someone recommend an easy to use popup blocker. Every time I use the
> Internet it's like watching fireworks. I spend 5 minutes trying to close
> down all the windows that popup.
>
> Much appreciated,
>
> Pierre

If you use NEtscape Navigator, it has a built in means to suppress popups.
And it's free...