Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Keeping an eye on my pc

Keeping an eye on my pc

Dave P-B

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a piece of software that will record all activity on my
pc (file transfers over the network, who logged on etc)

I'm not paranoid but some IT departments are tending to bully those with
little or no IT knowledge so I just want to cover my back!

TIA

Big Dave

mto

"Dave P-B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bimm20$jsp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know of a piece of software that will record all activity on

my
> pc (file transfers over the network, who logged on etc)
>
> I'm not paranoid but some IT departments are tending to bully those with
> little or no IT knowledge so I just want to cover my back!
>
> TIA
>
> Big Dave

If you have little or no IT knowledge then installing a key-logger on your
*employer's computer* to "cover your back" would be an exceedingly foolish
thing to do - one that would really give the IT department a good reason to
bully you and raise the distinct possibility of being fired for tampering
with the equipment.

Dave P-B

"mto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Dave P-B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bimm20$jsp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anyone know of a piece of software that will record all activity on

> my
> > pc (file transfers over the network, who logged on etc)
> >
> > I'm not paranoid but some IT departments are tending to bully those with
> > little or no IT knowledge so I just want to cover my back!
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Big Dave

> If you have little or no IT knowledge then installing a key-logger on your
> *employer's computer* to "cover your back" would be an exceedingly foolish
> thing to do - one that would really give the IT department a good reason

> bully you and raise the distinct possibility of being fired for tampering
> with the equipment.

I do have a great deal of IT experience, the rest for the query is that
those who have a great deal of knowledge abuse that fact and often use it
against those who have little or no knowledge.

Peter Young

"Dave P-B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bimm20$jsp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know of a piece of software that will record all activity on

my
> pc (file transfers over the network, who logged on etc)

Under NT/2K (and I presume XP - basically all NT OSs) you can set up
performance monitors for this purpose.

-Pete