Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: New Encryption Options - Plextor's SecuRec Feature

Re: New Encryption Options - Plextor's SecuRec Feature

Pete

On or around Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:22:03 -0400, Anthony PDC
<antdeclan_at_hotmail.com>, wrote :

>Grateful for observations as this technologly looks quite handy for
>securing CD-ROMs sent through to post etc

Hi,

Couldn't PGP do the same thing ?

Bob wants to send Alice an encrypted CD-ROM. Bob encrypts files using his
and Alice's public keys, and burns them to disc.

Alice receives CD-ROM, copies files to hard disk and decrypts them with her
private key.

Regards,

Pete.

--

PGP Key ID : 0x1654E187

Anthony PDC

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 05:15:34 +0100, Pete <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On or around Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:22:03 -0400, Anthony PDC
><antdeclan_at_hotmail.com>, wrote :
>
>>Grateful for observations as this technologly looks quite handy for
>>securing CD-ROMs sent through to post etc

>Hi,
>
>Couldn't PGP do the same thing ?
>
>Bob wants to send Alice an encrypted CD-ROM. Bob encrypts files using his
>and Alice's public keys, and burns them to disc.
>
>Alice receives CD-ROM, copies files to hard disk and decrypts them with her
>private key.
>
>Regards,
>
>Pete.

Hi Pete,

You are of course correct, in principle. However, for people who just
want to burn and get it done securely, w/o having to delve into the
(for many I don't doubt) esoteric realms of public/private key
encryption, it might be an attractive option. However, I know what
*I'd* do if it turns out that SecuRec is a POS!

Regards,

Anthony

Asus P4P800/XP