Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Outlook XP or Virus or Worm

Reply
Thread Tools

Outlook XP or Virus or Worm

 
 
John Festus Foster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2003
Good afternoon folks,

The last few days I've been having trouble I am unable to resolve. I'm
running an XP Professional system with Office XP Professional. XP is
setup with FastUserSwithcing enabled. Outlook on all 3 user accounts
"was" set for DialUp a connection, but is now set for LAN connection.

Here's what happens:

1 Any user logs in and opens Outlook and does "whatever"
2 Any other user "switches" to their account
3 1st user switches back to their account and the "Outlook
Send/Receive Progress" screen is showing with an error connecting to
host

Before I changed the connection setting to LAN, immediately upon
switching back to the 1st user, the modem would attempt to dial. I'm
not sure what is going on here. This has never happened before, and
I'm a big concerned. I've been running in this configuration for over
2 years without problem. I think my system is quite well locked down,
and always has been.

Norton AV 2003 - LiveUpdate run nitely - always have
Norton NIS 2003 - Live update run nitely - always have - nothing
accesses the internet without permission
TDS-3 - new definitions downloaded weekly and run a full system scan -
always have
MooSoft The Cleaner - updated weekly and full system scan - always
have.
EnoughIsEnough and XMLImport from
http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main.htm for locking down IE (Highly
recommended)
XP - patched 3 or 4 times a week - only critical patches, or if one of
the others addressss a problem I am having.
Office XP - patched whenever available
Outlook runs with the "NoHTML.dll" COM Add-In from
http://ntbugtraq.ntadvice.com/defaul...&pid=55&did=38 to
convert incoming HTML messages to plain text (Highly recommended)

ANY help is greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks,
John
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
W.S. Blevins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2003
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:29:02 -0400, John Festus Foster
<(E-Mail Removed)> begged for my response and typed the following
drivel:

>
>The last few days I've been having trouble I am unable to resolve.



I left my crystal ball at the office.


This message is certified as virus free by ImSoFullOfShit Anti-Virus.
Feel free to click on any attachments. Go ahead. You know you want to.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
mto
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2003

"John Festus Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good afternoon folks,
>
> The last few days I've been having trouble I am unable to resolve. I'm
> running an XP Professional system with Office XP Professional. XP is
> setup with FastUserSwithcing enabled. Outlook on all 3 user accounts
> "was" set for DialUp a connection, but is now set for LAN connection.
>
> Here's what happens:
>
> 1 Any user logs in and opens Outlook and does "whatever"
> 2 Any other user "switches" to their account
> 3 1st user switches back to their account and the "Outlook
> Send/Receive Progress" screen is showing with an error connecting to
> host
>
> Before I changed the connection setting to LAN, immediately upon
> switching back to the 1st user, the modem would attempt to dial.


Did you check to see if someone accidentally checked the box that says
something on the order of "hang up when messages have been downloaded?"


 
Reply With Quote
 
Colonel Flagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ks says...
>
> "John Festus Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Good afternoon folks,
> >
> > The last few days I've been having trouble I am unable to resolve. I'm
> > running an XP Professional system with Office XP Professional. XP is
> > setup with FastUserSwithcing enabled. Outlook on all 3 user accounts
> > "was" set for DialUp a connection, but is now set for LAN connection.
> >
> > Here's what happens:
> >
> > 1 Any user logs in and opens Outlook and does "whatever"
> > 2 Any other user "switches" to their account
> > 3 1st user switches back to their account and the "Outlook
> > Send/Receive Progress" screen is showing with an error connecting to
> > host
> >
> > Before I changed the connection setting to LAN, immediately upon
> > switching back to the 1st user, the modem would attempt to dial.

>
> Did you check to see if someone accidentally checked the box that says
> something on the order of "hang up when messages have been downloaded?"
>
>
>



or if they've also selected "always use this connection".



--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

Q: How many Bill Gates does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Security Experts Warn of Kama Sutra Worm (yet another MS worm) Imhotep Computer Security 4 01-30-2006 01:53 PM
worm/spybot.17.t (worm spybot 17t) detected by AVG code_wrong Computer Security 0 05-15-2004 04:40 PM
Outlook Virus//Worm PJD Computer Support 1 04-12-2004 12:15 AM
Antigen found VIRUS= I-Worm.Sobig.f (Kaspersky,CA(InoculateIT)) worm ANTIGEN_ML-MAIL Ruby 0 09-09-2003 07:11 PM
New anti-blaster worm attempts to fix RPC/DCOM vuln - W32/Nachi.worm Lord Shaolin Computer Security 6 08-20-2003 10:39 PM



Advertisments