Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > the other day somebody in yahoo chat threatened to "burn " my computer .

the other day somebody in yahoo chat threatened to "burn " my computer .

lousy flagpins

the other day in yahoo chat somebody thought i was :
"booting" him and threatened to "burn" my computer in retaliation.
does anyone know what he was talking about. (i know of one case where
a particularly obnoxious type had some problems but he assumed it was
a power surge.)

S.Heenan

lousy flagpins wrote:
> the other day in yahoo chat somebody thought i was :
> "booting" him and threatened to "burn" my computer in retaliation.
> does anyone know what he was talking about. (i know of one case where
> a particularly obnoxious type had some problems but he assumed it was
> a power surge.)

Yahoo chat you say ? Uh-huh. Dont lose any sleep over it.
--
Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated

kroesjnov

lousy flagpins wrote:
> the other day in yahoo chat somebody thought i was :
> "booting" him and threatened to "burn" my computer in retaliation.
> does anyone know what he was talking about. (i know of one case where
> a particularly obnoxious type had some problems but he assumed it was
> a power surge.)

On the question if you should worry about this I'd say no.
Some people alway threaten you to hack, and they think they are cool in
doing so. Most people who have the knowledge for gaining entrance to you
computer will not boast about this, so that is always a good pointer (but
still, there are of course crackers who might).
Anybody with some background on chat mediums know to ignore these kind of
threats, 99.9% are mere punches into the air which are ment to scare you.

On the question what burning means;
Burning a computer means wiping the entire content of the harddrive. Some
crackers do this to make sure[1] no log is left behind from them gaining
entrance on the particular computer.

[1] This btw still doesnt not clean out the whole drive entirely, since
forensic utilities (even commercial grade some times) will be able to get
information of the drive.

--
"Wisdom lies not in obtaining knowledge, but in using it in the right way"
- kroesjnov

http://www.securitydatabase.net
http://www.mostly-harmless.nl
http://www.outerbrains.nl