Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Need advice on BGP design when Multihomed to 2 ISP's..

Need advice on BGP design when Multihomed to 2 ISP's..

james

We are an AS we have the following routers:

3620 (2 t-1 interfaces) (1 fastE interface)
3725 (1 t-3 and 1 t-1 interface), (2 fastE interfaces)

ISPA is T3 link
ISPB is T1 Link

ASes will run BGP.

How would you design this to acheive load sharing/balancing and
redundancy.

thanks in advance
-jd

P.S. also running dual Nokia's with VRRP behind the router.

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
james <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>We are an AS we have the following routers:
>
>3620 (2 t-1 interfaces) (1 fastE interface)
>3725 (1 t-3 and 1 t-1 interface), (2 fastE interfaces)
>

>ISPA is T3 link
>ISPB is T1 Link
>
>ASes will run BGP.
>
>How would you design this to acheive load sharing/balancing and
>redundancy.

Load sharing between T1 and T3 interfaces seems like a strange thing to
do. The capacity of a T3 is many times more than a T1. Is it just a
fractional T3?

Anyway, for the redundancy part, get the book "High Availability Networking
Using Cisco" by Vincent Jones. For load balancing, google "BGP load
balancing" in this newsgroup to learn how difficult it is (and that's when
you're just trying to balance two circuits with similar bandwidth -- when
it's a T1 and T3 you'll probably want proportional load sharing, which is
even harder).

--
Barry Margolin, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Level(3), Woburn, MA

james

Thanks very much for the advice Barry.
Yes the T-3 will be fractional 4 to 5 Mbps.
But we can increase the bandwidth as needed.
I'll follow-up with your advice..

Thanks again,
-James