Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Best route for IA degree?

Best route for IA degree?

Bruce Valentine

Anybody have any opinions about ITT Tech's information security program? Or
would it be better to invest even more years in a university's IA masters
program? I'm already 25..just got out of military...would basically bet
starting as a freshman (*sigh).

Bruce Valentine

Yeah I'm leaning towards that way. I want a high quality education, so I'd
be willing to invest the extra years needed. And yes, it does feel darn good
to be a civilian again heh. I've already grown my hair long

> Well just my .10 but I would go for the 4 year accredited university

degree.
> Of course it is a bigger commitment, but I have heard bad things about the
> tech schools.
>
> BTW - welcome back feels good to be a civy don't it?
>
> DP

splatter

"Bruce Valentine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> Yeah I'm leaning towards that way. I want a high quality education, so I'd
> be willing to invest the extra years needed. And yes, it does feel darn

good
> to be a civilian again heh. I've already grown my hair long

I think that's best. Especially if you want to go into graduate level
studies, I don't think its wise to start with ITT tech, because it will
limit were you can go later.

I did the same thing until it was time to graduate and get a job. Had to cut
the hair after four years of college, because I couldn't get a job. As soon
as I cut it I got an offer my next interview. Go figure. Good luck!!

DP

rshimizu12@yahoo.com

ITT tech does offer a Bachelors degree in Information security.
Information security does seem a a bit specialized for a bachelors
program. Usually they are offered in a Masters program. Although I was
fairly impressed by the course descriptions. In any case I would be
fairly skeptical of a uncaredited instition.

Dean Palladino wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) m>,
> > Anybody have any opinions about ITT Tech's information security

program? Or
> > would it be better to invest even more years in a university's IA

masters
> > program? I'm already 25..just got out of military...would basically

bet
> > starting as a freshman (*sigh).
> >

> First, ITT Tech is a quick and expensive way to get a two year

degree;
> even then, it might not be counted as a two year degree. One of the
> benefits of going through a trade school is they provide placement
> services and that is their real power. A four year school may have a

> recruiting seminar, but that means the entire student body will be
> there. At ITT, you have a limited number of students that are known
> throughout the campus. Basically, it is the amount of money you want

> invest in your education. Whatever decision you make, you need to
> control the outcome: put 110% in the decision, and watch your

finances.

winged

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> ITT tech does offer a Bachelors degree in Information security.
> Information security does seem a a bit specialized for a bachelors
> program. Usually they are offered in a Masters program. Although I was
> fairly impressed by the course descriptions. In any case I would be
> fairly skeptical of a uncaredited instition.
>
> Dean Palladino wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed) m>,
>>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>>>Anybody have any opinions about ITT Tech's information security

> program? Or
>
>>>would it be better to invest even more years in a university's IA

> masters
>
>>>program? I'm already 25..just got out of military...would basically

> bet
>
>>>starting as a freshman (*sigh).
>>>

>>First, ITT Tech is a quick and expensive way to get a two year

> degree;
>
>>even then, it might not be counted as a two year degree. One of the
>>benefits of going through a trade school is they provide placement
>>services and that is their real power. A four year school may have a

>>recruiting seminar, but that means the entire student body will be
>>there. At ITT, you have a limited number of students that are known
>>throughout the campus. Basically, it is the amount of money you want

>>invest in your education. Whatever decision you make, you need to
>>control the outcome: put 110% in the decision, and watch your

> finances.

Creditation is everything.

Not really sure of your goal however. IT is a weird field and only
nominally follows the typical "degree" path. My exp indicates various
certifications are more important to many facets within the field. For
example having a GIAC/Security Plus a CCNA and your MSCE certification
can mean as much to an employer as that 4 yr IT computer degree (depends
on what you are trying to get into). Additionally good companies doing
IT will often assist and supplement employees to get additional
certifications in various technologies. I have found training in new
technologies never ending. Because the technologies change rapidly
various certifications must also be kept current. I do not degrade the
value of the computer management degree the principles learned are very
important, but the various certifications are just as important to most
employers. If one is wanting to get into the computer security aspect
of IT you might be better served focusing on your CCNA and get your MSCE
and Unix certifications along with a GIAC.

I can't say anything against the ITT path. I have never known
personally anyone within the circles I play that has entered the
security field successfully in that specific manner. That said, most of
the security professionals I have dealt with have a multitude of paths
that lead them to the profession. Some have IT degrees, others have
come through the certification path, some are electrical engineers,
others come up through the SA and programmer chains. All must
continually be willing to study and learn. Most of what I have learned
has been self taught, I came through the engineering chain, the
classrooms and certifications have been incidental. CS/CM degrees are
valuable assets, but are very much just a toehold in a constantly
changing field.

There will always need to be whitehats so long as blackhats exist. After
reading this, I have decided I don't know enough to advise you. It sure
would have been nice to learned it in two years....

Winged

Michael J. Pelletier

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> ITT tech does offer a Bachelors degree in Information security.
> Information security does seem a a bit specialized for a bachelors
> program. Usually they are offered in a Masters program. Although I was
> fairly impressed by the course descriptions. In any case I would be
> fairly skeptical of a uncaredited instition.
>
> Dean Palladino wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed) m>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> > Anybody have any opinions about ITT Tech's information security

> program? Or
>> > would it be better to invest even more years in a university's IA

> masters
>> > program? I'm already 25..just got out of military...would basically

> bet
>> > starting as a freshman (*sigh).
>> >

>> First, ITT Tech is a quick and expensive way to get a two year

> degree;
>> even then, it might not be counted as a two year degree. One of the
>> benefits of going through a trade school is they provide placement
>> services and that is their real power. A four year school may have a

>> recruiting seminar, but that means the entire student body will be
>> there. At ITT, you have a limited number of students that are known
>> throughout the campus. Basically, it is the amount of money you want

>> invest in your education. Whatever decision you make, you need to
>> control the outcome: put 110% in the decision, and watch your

> finances.

For my 2 cents I would recommend a Computer Science degree. Computer Science
will give you a very deep understanding about computers and the algorithms
the run on them. These are the types of things that you will not learn via
a IS/IT type degree. After, graduating get some certifications in the
specific fields you wish to work in...

Just my thoughts,
Michael

rshimizu12@yahoo.com

I was talking to someone today who is going through ITT's security
bachelors program. He told me that the cirriculum was very
disappointing.

They just skimmed over intrusion detection. There was no equipment to
practice on in their labs for IDS. The Linux security class was just
Linux basics class using Redhat.

So in summary ITT seems to another diploma mill to be avoided.