Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Security Tools RoundUp

Security Tools RoundUp

Bud

Ok, I am looking for the best of the best security toolkit for use in pen
testing.
Let's here which set of tools you prefer to have at all times.

-
The Bud Wiser

kyra

Bud wrote:
> Ok, I am looking for the best of the best security toolkit for use in pen
> testing.
> Let's here which set of tools you prefer to have at all times.
>
> -
> The Bud Wiser

to each his own. from basic commands and knowing the switches to writing
your own scripts, or using things like nmap. some are better than
others, but no one is the best. learn all the tools you can and use
each as the situation presents itself. one is only better than the next
fo the outcome you want, but in a diferent situation, another will be
the best for what you need.

i have to say nmap rocks for a port scanner though... and more if you
use it right.

--
Tell me and I'll forget.
Show me and I'll remember.

http://aleeya.net

jacco@honeypots.net

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:17:46 GMT, "Bud" <bud@swoop.2y.net> wrote:

>Ok, I am looking for the best of the best security toolkit for use in pen
>testing. Let's here which set of tools you prefer to have at all times.

Check out this list of Top 75 Security Tools at
http://www.insecure.org/tools.html

Jacco Tunnissen
--
http://www.honeypots.net/
Intrusion Detection Systems,

Bilbo Baggins

"Bud" <bud@swoop.2y.net> wrote in message
news:uUiUa.1415$E%(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Ok, I am looking for the best of the best security toolkit for use in pen
> testing.
> Let's here which set of tools you prefer to have at all times.

netcat

Liam

"Bilbo Baggins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bg5aae$c4m$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Bud" <bud@swoop.2y.net> wrote in message
> news:uUiUa.1415$E%(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > Ok, I am looking for the best of the best security toolkit for use in pen
> > testing.
> > Let's here which set of tools you prefer to have at all times.

> netcat

port scanner - nmap
network tomfoolery - netcat
web app testing - SPIKE proxy
sniffer - Ethereal
switched network sniffer - Ettercap
www server scanner - Nikto
password cracker - John the Ripper
vuln scanner - Nessus

James Riden

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Liam) writes:

> "Bilbo Baggins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bg5aae$c4m$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> "Bud" <bud@swoop.2y.net> wrote in message
>> news:uUiUa.1415$E%(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> > Ok, I am looking for the best of the best security toolkit for use in pen
>> > testing.
>> > Let's here which set of tools you prefer to have at all times.

>> netcat

<snip>
> switched network sniffer - Ettercap

I also like the dsniff/fragrouter/arpspoof tools.
Jamie
--
James Riden / (E-Mail Removed) / Systems Programmer - Security
This post does not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

bigDWK

Kismet rocks as a wi-fi sniffer. Airsnort's good at cracking WEP keys too.
Dave