Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Sign To Look For If Your Computer Is Hacked

Sign To Look For If Your Computer Is Hacked

Jeff Cochran

>SIGNS YOUR COMPUTER IS HACKED/OWNED:
>
>1. Hackers disable your Daylight Savings Time

When considering the suggestions by the original poster, ask yourself
"Why would any hacker wnat to change my Daylight Savings Time
settings?" Take the remainder of the suggestions in the same vein.

Jeff

foo@foo.foo

In article <7cbTa.12371$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>* Tracker <snailmail(invalid)(E-Mail Removed)>:
>> Copyright 2003 by Tracker. All rights reserved. Printed in the
>> United States of America. Except as permitted under the Copyright Act
>> of 1976, no part of this publication may be reproduced or distributed in
>>
>> any form or by any means, or stored in a database or retrieval system,
>> without the prior written permission of the publisher.
>>
>> SIGNS YOUR COMPUTER IS HACKED/OWNED:
>>

>Oh my god debbie how many times do you have to post this incredabily
>inaccurte spam and how many time do you have to be shown the errorss in
>before it sinks in??
>
>Jason

NO, no, no, she's right. I just took a class on how to hack into computers
and the first thing we learned that would really do harm is to change the
time on the clock ahead or behind by one hour. The FBI is going to publish
this very soon.

Computers are like air conditioning.
Neither one works when you open windows.

Jim Watt

On 22 Jul 2003 13:11:48 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>NO, no, no, she's right. I just took a class on how to hack into computers
>and the first thing we learned that would really do harm is to change the
>time on the clock ahead or behind by one hour.

I set someones clock back a couple of years by mistake and
it totally screwed his outlook express email.

GENERAL COMPUTER HEALTH WARNING
-------------------------------

Any advice from a poster using the word 'tracker' may contain
dangerous nonsense and should be immediately deleted from your
computer.

Do NOT contact this person by email

Do NOT feed the Trolls, one warning is enough, further messages
only reinforce the desire for attention that provides motivation.

Visit the fan club at:
http://www.sand-n-sea.us/debbiesdrival.htm

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

n1pop@hotmail.com

Tracker <"snailmail(invalid)222000"@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

{copyright noticed removed without permission}

> 1. Hackers disable your Daylight Savings Time

A1. Hackers have better things to do than to alert you to their
actions.

> 2. The clock on the desktop can be one hour behind or one hour ahead on
> occasion.

A2. Kinda seems related to item 1, don't you think?

> 3. Your Network Places Icon on the desktop disappears.

A3. See A1.

> 4. If using a Windows platform, when you start your computer, your
> original screen will pop up, but since the hackers need to boot into
> their server, the system will quickly re-boot and the original screen
> will appear twice instead of only once. Your system may re-boot twice
> instead of once when loading some OEM versions.

A4a. Have you ever seen an x86 computer quickly boot? Even with POST
set to minimal tests, it still takes a number of seconds, and all that
time one sees the POST results.

A4b. When a real mode app starts during boot, it must be provided a
display. Windows obliges and switches to CLI for the duration, then
returns to your startup screen.

A4c. If your computer reboots during an OEM load, it usually preceded
by a little dialog box that says it will reboot.

> 5. If your computer system occasionally re-boots on it?s own, again,
> the hacker may need to update their Hosts and Servers to make the
> computer system function properly.

A5. Heat. Clean your PC interior, replace the fan(s) and/or PC.

> 6. If you play Yahoo Games, you may find yourself being kicked out of
> the board your playing in. What is worse is if your winning a game and
> your the host of the board, the hacker may kick you out and not let you
> back in. When a computer system is hacker proof, you will rarely get
> booted out of a Yahoo Game. When the computer was hacker proof I went
> back to playing games and haven?t been booted yet.

A6a. See A1.

A6b. Hackers don't kick you off any games or chats, they leave that
to the moderators and bots.

> 7. A browser you install to filter out or kill file certain individuals
> on the internet will not work for a long time.

A7a. Browsers are not installed to filter. Browsers are installed to
interpret HTML. Only idiots install browsers to filter.

> 8. When you begin to see Usenet remarks made on behalf of your personal
> life which is private information.

A8. See A1.

> 9. Some of your personal files are modified years before they were
> created, HA-HA-HA! Have seen a number of personal files modified 7-8
> years before they were even created.

A9a. Read up on FAT, FAT32, and NTFS. This is not unusual.

A9b. See A1.

> 10. You find a number of files hidden/readable only which hackers seem
> to make their files hidden/readable only.

A10. Read up on hidden files. It's so you don't screw up your system
and blame hackers.

> 11. When you find a number of added information in your boot.ini file
> which relate to a Virtual Private Network . These can be either
> software, hardware or device driver oriented. A sample is presented
> later in this book.

A11. Many 3p apps generate VPN entries.

> 12. Under Search for Files and Folders, you do a search on any file
> modified in the past month and you will see files which just don?t need
> to be modified or which you don?t even recognize. For the newbie, you
> want to focus on the file you don?t recognize. Unless your skilled and
> realize which files need to be present and modified running a Windows
> Platform, you won?t know what to look for. To perform the above you
> will need to see all hidden files and folders.

A12. Read up on any OS. Think "OS support files."

> 13. Select Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network, and if you see one
> AOL adapter and have never used AOL.

A13a. Install Netscape, Real, or any number of other 3p apps
associated with AOL, and you can get AOL crap included without your
knowledge or permission.

A13b. See A1.

> 14. Select Start, Run, type regedit, select File, Export, in the box
> type say 4-12-02.txt and select save. Then open this file with a text
> editor or word document and you might be shocked to find what really is
> installed on your computer system.

A14. The original registry is stored elsewhere and is modified from
the moment you begin using Windows. Every Windows app modifies the
registry.

> 15. You have to turn your computer off by the power supply on a some
> what?s regular basis.

A15. When Windows crashes, it is not always apparent.

> 16. Installing a Network Interface Card will cause problems until the
> hackers configure this device into the Virtual Private Network they
> setup.

A16. Then they must be of some benefit to you, right?

> 17. You find your cd-rom drive open and close without your permission.

A17. See A1.

> 18. You could hear an annoying beep coming from your system speakers.

See A1.

> 19. Your windows screen goes horizontal or vertical.

A19. See A1, A5.

> 20. The screen saver picture changes without your permission.

A20. See A1, then check what you've installed.

> 21. On occasion your mouse is out of your control. This could also be
> caused by a corrupt mouse driver.

A21. See A1. Replace your mouse.

> 22. All of a sudden, your speakers decide to play you some music.

A22. See A1, then change to a different web site.

> 23. Installing a hardware or firewall for the first time can cause a
> number of different problems for you to set-up and configure.
> Considering you didn?t have these installed from the beginning of going
> on the internet.

A23. Jumping into a car for the first time has similar effects.
RTFM.

> 24. Your firewall logs show alerts at 12:00 then 11:22 then 12:16 and
> back to 11:59.

A24. Get a different firewall. RTFM.

> 25. If using a dial-up connection you see a number of pings, port 0 to
> your computer.

A25a. See A1.

A25b. Hackers have no need for your measly dial-up connection. [0]

> It will teach you to learn about Windows, the Internet and Hacking

I already know how to learn about Windows, et al.

[0] No offense to dial-up users, but hacking a slow connection is kind
of like fishing for plankton.

Chuck

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 01:21:01 +0400, Tracker
<"snailmail(invalid)222000"@yahoo.com> wrote:
<spam>
<drivel>
<legal>
>Copyright 2003 by Tracker. All rights reserved. Printed in the
>United States of America. Except as permitted under the Copyright Act
>of 1976, no part of this publication may be reproduced or distributed in
>any form or by any means, or stored in a database or retrieval system,
>without the prior written permission of the publisher.

</legal>
<title>
>SIGNS YOUR COMPUTER IS HACKED/OWNED:

</title>
>SNIP<

<signature>
>Tracker
>I know how important it is for me not to define myself by how others
>perceive
>me.
>Interested in purchasing my book named "Security Minds versus Malicious
>Minds"
>visit:
>www.securityminds2003.com
>It will teach you to learn about Windows, the Internet and Hacking

</signature>
</drivel>
<advertising>
>To view some kick butt artwork, visit:
>http://captiveimagery.com/index.cfm?...tion=home.main

</advertising>
</spam>

Chuck Croll
(E-Mail Removed)
Spam sucks - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!
Trusted Computing? Right! http://www.againsttcpa.com/
WHAT IS THE CBDTPA? http://www.stoppoliceware.org/

soja_a

The Saint wrote:
> The only way the dumb bitch could copyright those rabid, wholly
> inaccurate ramblings is to classify it as pure fiction, which it
> is. And that is why it's considered as spam. She's trying to
> peddle a literary (and I use that term *very* loosely) work for
> profit, in groups where it's completely off-topic. In fact, it's
> off-topic in all but the kook usenet groups.

ROFLMGDAO!! C'mon, TS, don't hold back. Tell us how you *really*
feel... <g>

soja_a

James E. Morrow

Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Chuck Croll
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Spam sucks - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!
> Trusted Computing? Right! http://www.againsttcpa.com/
> WHAT IS THE CBDTPA? http://www.stoppoliceware.org/

Are we invited to the book signing party, Debbie? You are such a
literary super star.

--
James E. Morrow
Email to: (E-Mail Removed)

Elson Mat

This is the best reply I've ever read. Very good and funny!!

> [...]

> > number of different problems for you to set-up and configure.
> > Considering you didn?t have these installed from the beginning of going
> > on the internet.

> A23. Jumping into a car for the first time has similar effects.
> RTFM.
>
> > 24. Your firewall logs show alerts at 12:00 then 11:22 then 12:16 and
> > back to 11:59.

> A24. Get a different firewall. RTFM.
>
> > 25. If using a dial-up connection you see a number of pings, port 0 to
> > your computer.

> A25a. See A1.
>
> A25b. Hackers have no need for your measly dial-up connection. [0]
>
> > It will teach you to learn about Windows, the Internet and Hacking

> I already know how to learn about Windows, et al.
>

> [0] No offense to dial-up users, but hacking a slow connection is kind

Splatter

"Elson Mat" <it(a)sankyu.com.hk> wrote in message
news:bfl0tc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is the best reply I've ever read. Very good and funny!!

You know reading this I was thinking, it sounds like she got back orifice.
The blue screen the mouse moving around, playing sounds. That's all BO crap.

Bit Twister

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:50:35 -0400, Splatter wrote:

> You know reading this I was thinking, it sounds like she got back orifice.

That is not her problem. If you have time to waste, and you want to
understand her a litte better, try going to
trackers in the first box
*security* in the Newsgroup, pick English