Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > does cisco PIX run IOS?

does cisco PIX run IOS?

User

I've just read the advisory about DOS attacks and cisco routers
running IOS:

We have a cisco pix501 and I've been trying to find out if it runs IOS
with completely confusing results. Cisco docs about the 501 don't
mention IOS, but there are usenet postings where people talking about
the pix501 and IOS.
So, does the cisco pix501 run IOS or not?

thank

NetItRight

No, the Cisco PIX firewalls run a completely different version of software.
The advisory does not apply to your 501.
Routers run IOS (current version 12.x), PIX firewalls (including the 501)
run PIX Firewall Software (current version if supported by hardware is 6.x)
Anyway, hope this helps. Browsing Cisco's site can get confusing sometimes.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...