Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > [ISN] Symantec 'security scan' distributes rootkit

[ISN] Symantec 'security scan' distributes rootkit

Colonel Flagg

By Thomas C Greene in Washington

"Symantec Security Check is a free web-based tool that enables users
to test their computer's exposure to a wide range of on-line threats,"
the press release begins. Unfortunately, Symantec Security Check has
also been installing an on-line threat of its own in the form of a
dangerous ActiveX control.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

Wanna ask a question in Usenet?

Everything about Usenet answered:
http://www.internetwarzone.org/answers.html

America WILL NOT forget 9-11-01

Lee Higdon

"Colonel Flagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

> By Thomas C Greene in Washington
>
> "Symantec Security Check is a free web-based tool that enables users
> to test their computer's exposure to a wide range of on-line threats,"
> the press release begins. Unfortunately, Symantec Security Check has
> also been installing an on-line threat of its own in the form of a
> dangerous ActiveX control.
>

> --
> Colonel Flagg
> http://www.internetwarzone.org/
>
> Privacy at a click:
> http://www.cotse.net
>
> Wanna ask a question in Usenet?
> http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> Everything about Usenet answered:
> http://www.internetwarzone.org/answers.html
>
> America WILL NOT forget 9-11-01

This is old news. Symantec has had a fix in place. I removed the threat on
my machines 8 July.