Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Questions about data in Shon Harris All-in-One Book.

Reply
Thread Tools

Questions about data in Shon Harris All-in-One Book.

 
 
walterbyrd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2003
Chapter 7: Telecommunications and Networking Security.
Page 349 - in describing the presentation layer of the OSI model,
Harris writes: "If a user uses a Corel application to save a grafic,
the presentation layer would convert the graphic into a Tagged
Information File Format (TIFF), Graphic Interchange Formate (GIF), of
Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) format."

What? Since when does the presentation layer change a corel file into
a JPEG?


Chapter 7: Telecommunications and Networking Security.
Page 350 - in describing the presentation layer of the OSI model,
Harris writes: "Some protocols that work at this layer are Secure
Socket Layer (SSL), Network File System (NFS), Stuctured Query
Language (SQL), and Remote Procedure Call (RPC)."


What? I thought structured query *LANGUAGE* was a *LANGUAGE* and not a
presentation layer protocol.


Is Harris wrong? Or am I misunderstanding something?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lord Shaolin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-17-2003
"walterbyrd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Chapter 7: Telecommunications and Networking Security.
> Page 349 - in describing the presentation layer of the OSI model,
> Harris writes: "If a user uses a Corel application to save a grafic (sp?),
> the presentation layer would convert the graphic into a Tagged
> Information File Format (TIFF), Graphic Interchange Formate (sp?) (GIF),

of (or?)
> Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) format."
>
> What? Since when does the presentation layer change a corel file into
> a JPEG?
>


Yes this is correct. The presentation layer deals with the format of
information so it can be understood by the application layer.

Tasks like data compression, decompression, encryption and decryption are
associated with this layer. Some Presentation layer standards are involved
in multimedia operations (as in image conversion, as jpeg is effectively
lossy compression).

>
> Chapter 7: Telecommunications and Networking Security.
> Page 350 - in describing the presentation layer of the OSI model,
> Harris writes: "Some protocols that work at this layer are Secure
> Socket Layer (SSL), Network File System (NFS), Stuctured Query
> Language (SQL), and Remote Procedure Call (RPC)."
>
>
> What? I thought structured query *LANGUAGE* was a *LANGUAGE* and not a
> presentation layer protocol.


You are correct, it's not a protocol it's a database manipulation language.

>
>
> Is Harris wrong? Or am I misunderstanding something?


I hope the typos are accidental on your part and not from the book

--

-+ Shaolin +-
Discard what is useless, absorb what is not and
add what is uniquely your own.

.: http://www.security-forums.com :.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
walterbyrd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-17-2003
>>Some Presentation layer standards are involved
in multimedia operations (as in image conversion, as jpeg is
effectively
lossy compression).<<

That's not the same as flatly stating that the presentation layer
converts a file from one defined format to another.


"Lord Shaolin" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "walterbyrd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > Chapter 7: Telecommunications and Networking Security.
> > Page 349 - in describing the presentation layer of the OSI model,
> > Harris writes: "If a user uses a Corel application to save a grafic (sp?),
> > the presentation layer would convert the graphic into a Tagged
> > Information File Format (TIFF), Graphic Interchange Formate (sp?) (GIF),

> of (or?)
> > Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) format."
> >
> > What? Since when does the presentation layer change a corel file into
> > a JPEG?
> >

>
> Yes this is correct. The presentation layer deals with the format of
> information so it can be understood by the application layer.
>
> Tasks like data compression, decompression, encryption and decryption are
> associated with this layer. Some Presentation layer standards are involved
> in multimedia operations (as in image conversion, as jpeg is effectively
> lossy compression).
>
> >
> > Chapter 7: Telecommunications and Networking Security.
> > Page 350 - in describing the presentation layer of the OSI model,
> > Harris writes: "Some protocols that work at this layer are Secure
> > Socket Layer (SSL), Network File System (NFS), Stuctured Query
> > Language (SQL), and Remote Procedure Call (RPC)."
> >
> >
> > What? I thought structured query *LANGUAGE* was a *LANGUAGE* and not a
> > presentation layer protocol.

>
> You are correct, it's not a protocol it's a database manipulation language.
>
> >
> >
> > Is Harris wrong? Or am I misunderstanding something?

>
> I hope the typos are accidental on your part and not from the book

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
^ Rufus Paul Harris ate my Baby! ^ Joe Momma Digital Photography 1 11-07-2006 10:16 PM
Questions on Canon 300D and etc. questions regarding digital photography Progressiveabsolution Digital Photography 12 03-24-2005 05:18 PM
Newbie questions - Couple of VC++ questions regarding dlls and VB6 Ali Syed C Programming 3 10-13-2004 10:15 PM
Re: Questions....questions....questions Patrick Michael A+ Certification 0 06-16-2004 04:53 PM



Advertisments