Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Transit an AS without BGP

Reply
Thread Tools

Transit an AS without BGP

 
 
Gary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2003
We have an end users office at the end of a 4MB leased line. They have an AS and a /19 from RIPE but their edge router will not handle a full BGP table. As there is only one route out to the net can we somehow advertise their address space but then statically route the traffic down the leased line.

Thx
Gary
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
shope
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2003
Gary,

you could still use BGP, but just send them a default route.

--
Regards

Stephen Hope - remove xx from email to reply
"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ysmlb.96871$AH4.89914@lakeread06...
We have an end users office at the end of a 4MB leased line. They have an AS
and a /19 from RIPE but their edge router will not handle a full BGP table.
As there is only one route out to the net can we somehow advertise their
address space but then statically route the traffic down the leased line.

Thx
Gary


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2003
"shope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ngqlb.741$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gary,
>
> you could still use BGP, but just send them a default route.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Stephen Hope - remove xx from email to reply
> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ysmlb.96871$AH4.89914@lakeread06...
> We have an end users office at the end of a 4MB leased line. They have an

AS
> and a /19 from RIPE but their edge router will not handle a full BGP

table.
> As there is only one route out to the net can we somehow advertise their
> address space but then statically route the traffic down the leased line.
>
> Thx
> Gary
>
>

Could you send me a sample of what the commands are please or point me in
the right direction.

thx
Gary


 
Reply With Quote
 
shope
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2003
"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V8wlb.97563$AH4.45956@lakeread06...
> "shope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ngqlb.741$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Gary,
> >
> > you could still use BGP, but just send them a default route.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > Stephen Hope - remove xx from email to reply
> > "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:ysmlb.96871$AH4.89914@lakeread06...
> > We have an end users office at the end of a 4MB leased line. They have

an
> AS
> > and a /19 from RIPE but their edge router will not handle a full BGP

> table.
> > As there is only one route out to the net can we somehow advertise their
> > address space but then statically route the traffic down the leased

line.
> >
> > Thx
> > Gary
> >
> >

> Could you send me a sample of what the commands are please or point me in
> the right direction.


Gary

i dont do this using BGP in my day job, so best way is to point you are some
refs

Here is a Cisco note about aggregating routes
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/aggregation.html

you want to aggregate all routes to 0.0.0.0/0, and only propagate the
summary

i suggest you try this on the bench before you put it on a "live" network
>
> thx
> Gary
>

--
Regards

Stephen Hope - remove xx from email to reply


 
Reply With Quote
 
Barry Margolin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2003
In article <V8wlb.97563$AH4.45956@lakeread06>,
Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"shope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:ngqlb.741$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Gary,
>>
>> you could still use BGP, but just send them a default route.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Stephen Hope - remove xx from email to reply
>> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ysmlb.96871$AH4.89914@lakeread06...
>> We have an end users office at the end of a 4MB leased line. They have an

>AS
>> and a /19 from RIPE but their edge router will not handle a full BGP

>table.
>> As there is only one route out to the net can we somehow advertise their
>> address space but then statically route the traffic down the leased line.
>>
>> Thx
>> Gary
>>
>>

>Could you send me a sample of what the commands are please or point me in
>the right direction.


router bgp <your-as>
neighbor x.x.x.x remote-as <their-as>
neighbor x.x.x.x distribute-list 1 out
neighbor x.x.x.x default-originate

access-list 1 permit 0.0.0.0

--
Barry Margolin, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Level(3), Woburn, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2003

"Barry Margolin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:H5Blb.167$(E-Mail Removed)3.com...
> In article <V8wlb.97563$AH4.45956@lakeread06>,
> Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"shope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:ngqlb.741$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Gary,
> >>
> >> you could still use BGP, but just send them a default route.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Stephen Hope - remove xx from email to reply
> >> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:ysmlb.96871$AH4.89914@lakeread06...
> >> We have an end users office at the end of a 4MB leased line. They have

an
> >AS
> >> and a /19 from RIPE but their edge router will not handle a full BGP

> >table.
> >> As there is only one route out to the net can we somehow advertise

their
> >> address space but then statically route the traffic down the leased

line.
> >>
> >> Thx
> >> Gary
> >>
> >>

> >Could you send me a sample of what the commands are please or point me in
> >the right direction.

>
> router bgp <your-as>
> neighbor x.x.x.x remote-as <their-as>
> neighbor x.x.x.x distribute-list 1 out
> neighbor x.x.x.x default-originate
>
> access-list 1 permit 0.0.0.0
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
> Level(3), Woburn, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to

newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the

group.

Would it be better/easier to announce the address space and AS as part of
our network, and then just static route the /20 to the actual owners ?

I posted this to the group also.

Gary


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To BGP or not to BGP (multihoming with ISPs over uneven links speed)?!? papi Cisco 4 09-08-2009 02:45 AM
Difference between "bgp dampening" and "bgp bestpath dampening" harald rüger Cisco 0 10-25-2004 04:07 PM
Avoiding a Transit Provider Gary Cisco 8 02-06-2004 06:01 AM
Transit an AS/Allocation without BGP at the customers edge router Gary Cisco 0 10-27-2003 10:31 PM
Use private IP on inside interfaces of transit routers mliu Cisco 5 07-15-2003 08:53 PM



Advertisments