Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > POPUP protection

POPUP protection

Clive

I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and Trojan
software (TrojanHunter).

All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.

I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to cause
problems with browsing.

I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal browsing and
doesn't 'take over' my system.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Clive

Use.Netuser.01

popup killer try www.google.com
Small executable no need to install per se

"Clive" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2SNQa.12424$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and Trojan
> software (TrojanHunter).
>
> All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.
>
> I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to cause
> problems with browsing.
>
> I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal browsing and
> doesn't 'take over' my system.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

YK

Clive wrote:
> I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and Trojan
> software (TrojanHunter).
>
> All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.
>
> I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to cause
> problems with browsing.
>
> I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal browsing and
> doesn't 'take over' my system.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

I like the Google toolbar pop-up blocker.
http://toolbar.google.com/index-beta.php

Install a good HOSTS file.
Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File.
Download the hosts.zip file.
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

SpywareBlaster stops nasties from installing.
Reference file update July 12th.

mto

"Clive" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2SNQa.12424$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and Trojan
> software (TrojanHunter).
>
> All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.
>
> I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to cause
> problems with browsing.
>
> I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal browsing and
> doesn't 'take over' my system.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

Zone Alarm Pro - stops the pop ups and it stops all the other ads too if you
want, blocks the scripts, etc. etc/ Worth every penny and then some

Colonel Flagg

In article <2SNQa.12424$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and Trojan
> software (TrojanHunter).
>
> All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.
>
> I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to cause
> problems with browsing.
>
> I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal browsing and
> doesn't 'take over' my system.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

I use Netscape 7.02, it has a popup blocker built in. On very rare
occasions will I find a site that's not Netscape compatible. Unlike in
the last few years when 1/2 the sites you visit (written by and for
Microsoft weenies) weren't compatible with Netscape, nor HTML 4
compatible for that matter either.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

Wanna ask a question in Usenet?

Everything about Usenet answered:
http://www.internetwarzone.org/answers.html

America WILL NOT forget 9-11-01

mto

"Colonel Flagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> In article <2SNQa.12424$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and Trojan
> > software (TrojanHunter).
> >
> > All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.
> >
> > I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to cause
> > problems with browsing.
> >
> > I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal browsing and
> > doesn't 'take over' my system.
> >
> > Any recommendations?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Clive
> >

> I use Netscape 7.02, it has a popup blocker built in. On very rare
> occasions will I find a site that's not Netscape compatible. Unlike in
> the last few years when 1/2 the sites you visit (written by and for
> Microsoft weenies) weren't compatible with Netscape, nor HTML 4
> compatible for that matter either.
>

> --
> Colonel Flagg
> http://www.internetwarzone.org/
>
> Privacy at a click:
> http://www.cotse.net
>
> Wanna ask a question in Usenet?
> http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> Everything about Usenet answered:
> http://www.internetwarzone.org/answers.html
>
> America WILL NOT forget 9-11-01

Colonel - Netscape is known spyware. They have a couple of lawsuits over
it, one of which was recently settled with the NY Attorney General's
office - but not yet complied with. All that Netscape is doing for you is
making sure that Netscape/AOL collect your data instead of somebody else.

Lars Hemstad

Clive wrote:
> I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and Trojan
> software (TrojanHunter).
>
> All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.
>
> I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to cause
> problems with browsing.
>
> I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal browsing and
> doesn't 'take over' my system.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

Change your browser to Opera. They have great pop-up filter, I haven't even
seen a pop-up i ages. Not to forget it's much faster than IE.

/L
A spineless man cannot be broken

Don Kelloway

"mto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Colonel Flagg" <(E-Mail Removed)>

wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > In article <2SNQa.12424$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and

Trojan
> > > software (TrojanHunter).
> > >
> > > All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.
> > >
> > > I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to

cause
> > > problems with browsing.
> > >
> > > I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal

browsing and
> > > doesn't 'take over' my system.
> > >
> > > Any recommendations?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Clive

> > I use Netscape 7.02, it has a popup blocker built in. On very rare
> > occasions will I find a site that's not Netscape compatible.

Unlike in
> > the last few years when 1/2 the sites you visit (written by and

for
> > Microsoft weenies) weren't compatible with Netscape, nor HTML 4
> > compatible for that matter either.
> >

> Colonel - Netscape is known spyware. They have a couple of lawsuits

over
> it, one of which was recently settled with the NY Attorney General's
> office - but not yet complied with. All that Netscape is doing for

you is
> making sure that Netscape/AOL collect your data instead of somebody

else.

You raise an excellent point! I briefly read the Class Action suit
filed in New York (2000). I believe it hinges Netscape using a
feature called 'Smart Download' and that it's still under
consideration. Though I'm unsure if such would still apply to the
latest version.

In regards to blocking pop-ups. I like to use IE6 and Opera7. With
my IE6 configuration, I configure the security level of the Internet
Zone to High and will only move the regular sites I visit to the
Trusted Zone. This combined with a HOSTS file, a simple pop-up
blocker for the sites which are in the Trusted Zone along with a
firewall to prevent unnecessary inbound traffic, ensures pop-up free
surfing.

--
Best regards,
Don Kelloway

Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your
Security on the Internet".

mto

"Lars Hemstad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Clive wrote:
> > I've got Antivirus (NOD32), Spam software (Mailwasher Pro) and Trojan
> > software (TrojanHunter).
> >
> > All I seem to be missing is something to stop popups.
> >
> > I've found masses and masses of choice and many of them seem to cause
> > problems with browsing.
> >
> > I want something that doesn't slow or restrict my normal browsing and
> > doesn't 'take over' my system.
> >
> > Any recommendations?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Clive

> Change your browser to Opera. They have great pop-up filter, I haven't

even
> seen a pop-up i ages. Not to forget it's much faster than IE.
>
> /L

You would be surprised how fast IE is with all the ads and popups blocked
LOL

Colonel Flagg

says...

> Colonel - Netscape is known spyware. They have a couple of lawsuits over
> it, one of which was recently settled with the NY Attorney General's
> office - but not yet complied with. All that Netscape is doing for you is
> making sure that Netscape/AOL collect your data instead of somebody else.

lol.

nothing gets past my firewall(s), of which, I run three, two hardware
and one software with incoming and outgoing rulesets. not once has
netscape made any attempt to by-pass my formidable firewall rules to
obtain information or send information without my expressed knowledge.

IE is the scourge of the Internet, just like Microsoft is the scourge of
the computer world.