Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > POPUP protection

POPUP protection

Don Kelloway

"Colonel Flagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>

> > Colonel - Netscape is known spyware. They have a couple of lawsuits

over
> > it, one of which was recently settled with the NY Attorney General's
> > office - but not yet complied with. All that Netscape is doing for

you is
> > making sure that Netscape/AOL collect your data instead of somebody

else.

> lol.
>
> nothing gets past my firewall(s), of which, I run three, two hardware
> and one software with incoming and outgoing rulesets. not once has
> netscape made any attempt to by-pass my formidable firewall rules to
> obtain information or send information without my expressed knowledge.
>
> IE is the scourge of the Internet, just like Microsoft is the scourge

of
> the computer world.

According to the lawsuit (info at
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/200...jun13b_03.html) which appears
to have been settled this past June. It states:

The investigation found that between 2000 and 2002, Netscape's
"SmartDownload" feature had, in processing certain users' download
requests, also saved several categories of data relating to each
download - including the Internet address, or URL, of each file user's
downloaded. According to Spitzer, the retention of the information
contradicted Netscape's representation to consumers that "none of this
information is saved."

So if this description is accurate. I don't think employing a firewall
or firewalls would have protected your privacy if you downloaded
software via the 'Smart Download' feature. Regardless maybe you should
consider visiting the website and seek your applicable relief, whatever
it may be.

--
Best regards,
Don Kelloway

Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your
Security on the Internet".

Don Kelloway

"Colonel Flagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> In article <TkYQa.128$%(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >
> > According to the lawsuit (info at
> > http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/200...jun13b_03.html) which

appears
> > to have been settled this past June. It states:
> >
> > The investigation found that between 2000 and 2002, Netscape's
> > "SmartDownload" feature had, in processing certain users' download
> > requests, also saved several categories of data relating to each
> > download - including the Internet address, or URL, of each file

user's
> > downloaded. According to Spitzer, the retention of the information
> > contradicted Netscape's representation to consumers that "none of

this
> > information is saved."
> >
> > So if this description is accurate. I don't think employing a

firewall
> > or firewalls would have protected your privacy if you downloaded
> > software via the 'Smart Download' feature. Regardless maybe you

should
> > consider visiting the website and seek your applicable relief,

whatever
> > it may be.

> That's only *if* you use the Smart Download feature, I do not. It
> doesn't affect me. I'll continue to use a product that has minimal
> problems compared to IE which is flawed from start to finish.

Yes. I believe I said that in the last paragraph, but at the time of my
reply. I was not privy to know what you do with or how you use
Netscape. Of course we now know that you don't use the feature and
hence, it doesn't pose an issue for you.

--
Best regards,
Don Kelloway
Commodon Communications

Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your
Security on the Internet".

Colonel Flagg

says...

> "Colonel Flagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...
> >

> > > Colonel - Netscape is known spyware. They have a couple of lawsuits

> over
> > > it, one of which was recently settled with the NY Attorney General's
> > > office - but not yet complied with. All that Netscape is doing for you

> is
> > > making sure that Netscape/AOL collect your data instead of somebody

> else.
> > >

> > lol.
> >
> > nothing gets past my firewall(s), of which, I run three, two hardware
> > and one software with incoming and outgoing rulesets. not once has
> > netscape made any attempt to by-pass my formidable firewall rules to
> > obtain information or send information without my expressed knowledge.
> >
> > IE is the scourge of the Internet, just like Microsoft is the scourge of
> > the computer world.

> Colonel, colonel, colonel - of COURSE it gets past your fire wall! If a
> program is spyware and you allow it to access the Internet at all, then of
> COURSE it gets past your firewall!
>
> The SmartDownload feature that Don mentions is only one of the reported
> problems with Netscape you know.

lol.

you really have no clue.

spend another 10 years learning computer security, then come back and
report in. I think you'll finally see that what you've just said, is
idiotic.

you're dismissed.

--
Colonel Flagg