Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Suspect file ~

Suspect file ~

Colonel Flagg

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

I didn't pull your chain. Shut the **** up and sit in the corner.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

Wanna ask a question in Usenet?

Everything about Usenet answered:
http://www.internetwarzone.org/answers.html

America WILL NOT forget 9-11-01

Colonel Flagg

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> > You didn't read.
> >
> > He said the file name. Next time, read the ****ing post and understand
> > it.
> >
> > As for my being rude, get over it. We're in an adult world, rude is a
> > part of life. Don't like it? Kill file me.
> >

> OK, I did...

in the hopes that you meant that you kill-filed me, cool. one less idiot
to deal with.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

Wanna ask a question in Usenet?

Everything about Usenet answered:
http://www.internetwarzone.org/answers.html

America WILL NOT forget 9-11-01

Thund3rstruck

Depresion rambled on about something in
<KWwQa.9003$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> I was having a look through the my pictures folder in XP and found a
> file who's name was simply ~ wondering what it was I opened it in
> notepad to find that is seems to contain all the e-mail addresses in
> outlook express's contact list. In fact it looks to be a direct copy
> of the wab file, dose anyone know of a program (virus/worm/Trojan
> type thing) that would have created this copy (I have an up to date
> Norton AV running) or is it more lightly just an error?

Is the name just "~" (Tilde without the quotes)? If so, there's a
bug with an update on MS's site that causes this to appear somewhere.

HTH

NOI

Don Kelloway

"[ Doc Jeff ]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

found a

> >> Don,
> >>
> >> Are you really that goddamn stupid?
> >>
> >> Don't _even_ attempt to reply back to this. Just re-read the original
> >> post and figure it out for yourself, when you do, go ahead and stick

> >> boot in your own ass for being so dense.

> >#1 - I didn't think the filename was simply a tilde with no extension.
> >Don't fault me for wanting to verify something that could have been

posted
> >by mistake.

> Have you never before seen a file named ~ ?? I see them all the
> time. Your comment "I didn't think" is very appropriate.
>
> >#2 - Since when do I deserve the level of rudeness offered in your

post?
> >Your attitude was uncalled for and certainly not appreciated.

> See my other message about this. Rudeness is called for when people
> ask stupid questions or make stupid comments. Your message qualifies.
>
> --
> http://www.cotse.net - Use it, you know you want to.
> If you're too scared to go look for yourself, ask me
> about COTSE. I'd be happy to tell you about it.

No. I haven't seen files named '~' and a search of my hard drive fails to
reveal any. However I have seen and do have files with the tilde as the
leading character with TMP files. Hence my question.

--
Best regards,
Don Kelloway

Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security
on the Internet".

Don Kelloway

"Thund3rstruck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f1337ad$0$73635$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Depresion rambled on about something in
> <KWwQa.9003$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> > I was having a look through the my pictures folder in XP and found a
> > file who's name was simply ~ wondering what it was I opened it in
> > notepad to find that is seems to contain all the e-mail addresses in
> > outlook express's contact list. In fact it looks to be a direct copy
> > of the wab file, dose anyone know of a program (virus/worm/Trojan
> > type thing) that would have created this copy (I have an up to date
> > Norton AV running) or is it more lightly just an error?

> Is the name just "~" (Tilde without the quotes)? If so, there's a
> bug with an update on MS's site that causes this to appear somewhere.
>
> HTH
>
> NOI

re: "Is the name just "~" (Tilde without the quotes)?"

Shame on you for not thinking that the original poster provided the
filename in its entirety. <grin>

However it is refreshing to see that someone else considered to ask the
question as well. Of course Colonel Flagg and Doc Jeff may have just
labeled you stupid. Not that that would mean anything coming from them.

--
Best regards,
Don Kelloway
Commodon Communications

Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security
on the Internet".

Don Kelloway

"Colonel Flagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> In article <z5JQa.82$%(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> > You're right. We are in an adult world. Why don't you consider

acting
> > like one or is that what we should continue to expect from a person

who
> > uses the pseudonym of a television character known for being a dim

bulb?

> Your idea of acting like an adult is completely different from mine. I
> expect a little intelligence when reading a tech group. Sorry if I can't
> find any in your posts.
>
> Justifying your reasoning _after_ a post is made is typical of someone
> short of knowledge and low of I.Q. One of these days, I suspect you'll
> learn to read properly and take your A.D.D. medicine to enable you to
> concentrate fully.
>
> I'll excuse your lameness one last time, after that, you're to be flamed
> at every given opportunity. Now run along and take your medicine.

Thank you for answering the question of what we are to expect from you.

If you should decide to follow through with your threat to flame my posts
at every given opportunity. Then I can only suggest that you don your
flame retardant suit, as the backlash may be more than what you'd expect.

--
Best regards,
Don Kelloway
Commodon Communications

Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security
on the Internet".

Don Kelloway

"Colonel Flagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> In article <8iJQa.98$%(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >
> > "Thund3rstruck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:3f1337ad$0$73635$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Depresion rambled on about something in

in

copy

date

> > > Is the name just "~" (Tilde without the quotes)? If so, there's a
> > > bug with an update on MS's site that causes this to appear

somewhere.

> > > HTH
> > >
> > > NOI

> > re: "Is the name just "~" (Tilde without the quotes)?"
> >
> > Shame on you for not thinking that the original poster provided the
> > filename in its entirety. <grin>
> >
> > However it is refreshing to see that someone else considered to ask

the
> > question as well. Of course Colonel Flagg and Doc Jeff may have just
> > labeled you stupid. Not that that would mean anything coming from

them.

> at least this person knew of a bug centering on a filename of "~" rather
> than not knowing anything about it.
>
> don't back track Mr. Commode, you had no clue and you know it.

What is there to back track? I never stated that I knew what the cause of
the issue was at the time of my post. I merely asked the poster a
question as to what the filename was. It's a simple as that.

--
Best regards,
Don Kelloway
Commodon Communications

Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security
on the Internet".

Don Kelloway

"Don Kelloway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wlLQa.106$%(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> "Colonel Flagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > In article <8iJQa.98$%(E-Mail Removed) >,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > >
> > > "Thund3rstruck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> > > news:3f1337ad$0$73635$(E-Mail Removed)...

found

in

addresses
> in

> copy

(virus/worm/Trojan

> date

> somewhere.

> > > re: "Is the name just "~" (Tilde without the quotes)?"
> > >
> > > Shame on you for not thinking that the original poster provided the
> > > filename in its entirety. <grin>
> > >
> > > However it is refreshing to see that someone else considered to ask

> the
> > > question as well. Of course Colonel Flagg and Doc Jeff may have

just
> > > labeled you stupid. Not that that would mean anything coming from

> them.
> > >

> > at least this person knew of a bug centering on a filename of "~"

rather
> > than not knowing anything about it.
> >
> > don't back track Mr. Commode, you had no clue and you know it.
> >

> What is there to back track? I never stated that I knew what the cause

of
> the issue was at the time of my post. I merely asked the poster a
> question as to what the filename was. It's a simple as that.

On second thought. You knew nothing about the issue yourself! As a
matter of fact you contributed nothing to the thread other than to
demonstrate your lack of ability to act like an adult.

--
Best regards,
Don Kelloway
Commodon Communications

Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security
on the Internet".

Don Kelloway

"John E. Carty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:unzQa.73885$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Don Kelloway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%myQa.50$%(E-Mail Removed) et...
> > "Depresion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:KWwQa.9003$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I was having a look through the my pictures folder in XP and found a

> > file
> > > who's name was simply ~ wondering what it was I opened it in notepad

> > > find that is seems to contain all the e-mail addresses in outlook

> > express's
> > > contact list. In fact it looks to be a direct copy of the wab file,

dose
> > anyone
> > > know of a program (virus/worm/Trojan type thing) that would have

created
> > > this copy (I have an up to date Norton AV running) or is it more

lightly
> > just
> > > an error?
> > >

> > What is the name of the file?
> >

> The file has no name, only ~. It is the result of windows update patch
> 330994. You get the temp file after a change is made to your address

book in
> Outlook Express. You can tell if you have applied this patch by opening
> Internet Explorer => Help =>About and seeing if the patch is listed

there.

John,

I apologize for not responding earlier.

While I have the 330994 patch applied, the '~' file didn't exist because I
never used the WAB.

Thanks for the information. It's always good to know.

--
Best regards,
Don Kelloway
Commodon Communications

Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security
on the Internet".

John E. Carty

"Don Kelloway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KILQa.108$%(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> "John E. Carty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:unzQa.73885$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> >
> > "Don Kelloway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%myQa.50$%(E-Mail Removed) et...
> > > "Depresion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:KWwQa.9003$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > file

> > > express's

> dose
> > > anyone

> created

> lightly
> > > just
> > > >

> > > What is the name of the file?
> > >

> > The file has no name, only ~. It is the result of windows update patch
> > 330994. You get the temp file after a change is made to your address

> book in
> > Outlook Express. You can tell if you have applied this patch by opening
> > Internet Explorer => Help =>About and seeing if the patch is listed

> there.
> >

> John,
>
> I apologize for not responding earlier.
>
> While I have the 330994 patch applied, the '~' file didn't exist because I
> never used the WAB.
>
> Thanks for the information. It's always good to know.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Don Kelloway
> Commodon Communications