Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Help! PopUps with No Browser running!

Re: Help! PopUps with No Browser running!

S.Heenan

Jeff N. Cantwell wrote:
> Help!
>
> My buddy here at the office has something on his machine that we can't
> get rid of.
>
> We've run a virus scan and spy-bot on it, but these damn popups keep
> popping up. Even when he doesn't have a browser window open.
>
> We've looked at installed programs, and services, but can't figure out
> what's causing it.
>
> SpyBot cleaned up a bunch of stuff, but didn't take care of this
> problem. We're running Win2000Pro here, so any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> JC

Did you update Spybot before you ran it ? Even version1.2, the newest,
requires the update. Anything under the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run that
shouldn't be there ?
Is he running Kazaa or something similar ?
--
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite
you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man. -Samuel