Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > ISO AppleTalk Routing basics help

ISO AppleTalk Routing basics help

Jeff Mao

We have a Catalyst 4006 switch with a routing module which connects to
a bunch of managed cisco swicthes. We've recently split our network
into multiple VLANs to isolate NetBoot traffic. As a result,
obviously, our Appletalk printers are now in lots of different VLANs.
Last year, we had one subnet, so all our appletalk printers were
visible to the kids and teachers, and had no problems with that, so
we're hoping to route Appletalk between the VLANs.

We have 8 VLANs. In total, there are about 450-500 appletalk devices
on the network.

So, I'm looking for recommendations on the following:

1) Should we create zones in order to manage the traffic or is this
overkill? The simpler the better as far as the user-base is
concerned,...I just don't want to create a routing nightmare that
slows down the network or one with so many zones that kids have to
hunt for the right printer.

2) From the actual configuration side (I've only done this once before
a few years ago on a very small network), without getting fancy, is
this all I need?

appletalk routing
interface fa2/x
appletalk cable-range y-z a.b
appletalk zone Academic

3) lastly, for cable-range y-z, am I correct in understanding that I
should choose a range of at least 3 or 4 values (ie 10-13) because
each number can represent 253 devices? And a.b is the static address
I choose for the actual interface (ie 10.1 or 10.2?)

Thanks,
Jeff

Sam Wilson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Jeff Mao
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> We have a Catalyst 4006 switch with a routing module which connects to
> a bunch of managed cisco swicthes. We've recently split our network
> into multiple VLANs to isolate NetBoot traffic. As a result,
> obviously, our Appletalk printers are now in lots of different VLANs.
> Last year, we had one subnet, so all our appletalk printers were
> visible to the kids and teachers, and had no problems with that, so
> we're hoping to route Appletalk between the VLANs.
>
> We have 8 VLANs. In total, there are about 450-500 appletalk devices
> on the network.

So if your devices are evenly spread that's about 50-60 devices per
VLAN - nowhere near 253 unless you have a large concentration
somewhere, right?

> So, I'm looking for recommendations on the following:
>
> 1) Should we create zones in order to manage the traffic or is this
> overkill? The simpler the better as far as the user-base is
> concerned,...I just don't want to create a routing nightmare that
> slows down the network or one with so many zones that kids have to
> hunt for the right printer.

Zones and routing are orthogonal - zones are a user-level thing,
routing is a network level thing. If it helps you to put things in
different zones then do so. With up to 500 machines in one zone you
might find that the background level of traffic gets quite high, but on
a switched network you'll probably be OK.

> 2) From the actual configuration side (I've only done this once before
> a few years ago on a very small network), without getting fancy, is
> this all I need?
>
> appletalk routing
> interface fa2/x
> appletalk cable-range y-z a.b
> appletalk zone Academic

Looks right except that if you use VLANs and layer 2 ("switchport")
interfaces you'll want to apply the appletalk commands to the VLAN
interfaces rather than the physical ones.

> 3) lastly, for cable-range y-z, am I correct in understanding that I
> should choose a range of at least 3 or 4 values (ie 10-13) because
> each number can represent 253 devices?

Unless you have more than 200+ machines on each VLAN/cable-range
there's probably no point, and your numbers above suggest that you
don't. For growth (in AppleTalk?!) you might want to not give your
VLANs consecutive AppleTalk network numbers so you could expand the
range easily without having to shuffle everything else around.

> ... And a.b is the static address
> I choose for the actual interface (ie 10.1 or 10.2?)

or leave it as 10.0 or even 0.0 and let the router choose its own
address.

Sam

Appletalk routing Bryan Irvine Cisco 3 03-17-2005 04:41 AM
1760 Router and Appletalk Jim O'Hagan Cisco 1 10-04-2004 04:59 AM
is it possible to route appletalk with catalyst ? Rick Cisco 2 03-02-2004 10:18 PM

Advertisments