Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Help! PopUps with No Browser running!

Re: Help! PopUps with No Browser running!

Harri Mellin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jeff N. Cantwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Help!
>
> My buddy here at the office has something on his machine that we can't
> get rid of.
>
> We've run a virus scan and spy-bot on it, but these damn popups keep
> popping up. Even when he doesn't have a browser window open.
>
> We've looked at installed programs, and services, but can't figure out
> what's causing it.
>
> SpyBot cleaned up a bunch of stuff, but didn't take care of this
> problem. We're running Win2000Pro here, so any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> JC

close port 139 (i think it was that port)

Swedish Webcams <http://zap.to/webcams>

Jeff N. Cantwell

???
We're behind firewalls, and well protected from the net. Plus our
network addresses change every time we boot up.

--
Jeff N. Cantwell
Contract Programmer

NRA Life, Member ARPA, Libertarian
[www.ARPA-Online.org]
ARPA Director at Large
NRA EVC - 2nd District
Libertarian District 2 Chair

Thund3rstruck

Jeff N. Cantwell rambled on about something in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

> ???
> We're behind firewalls, and well protected from the net. Plus our
> network addresses change every time we boot up.

I suggest running something like Spybot or Ad Aware. Make sure
they're updated before you scan, though, so you can catch the most
'baddies'.

NOI