Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Thoughts on SafeBoot

Thoughts on SafeBoot

Skulking Rogue

Has anyone used SafeBoot (http://www.safeboot.com) or know of any reviews
of the software?

Frode

NewsGroup User

Take a look at Gartners report on data protection, Safeboot & Pointsec seem
to be the 2 best products in this field. Pointsec seems to have a small
advantage in the latest one, in the previous it was best by far.

I would go with testing those two.

SafeGuard Eazy? Latest I heard was that they will be out of business soon.

Don't work for any of these companies, use one of the mentioned products -
works easily enough for me!

Cheers!

"Frode" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

e2chameleon

I evaluated the Enterprise version of SafetBoot a few versions back and it
seemed excellent. I particularly like the the user management and key
recovery/reset.

Ian.

"Skulking Rogue" <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone used SafeBoot (http://www.safeboot.com) or know of any reviews
> of the software?

Vdiskker

Hey, Frode.

I've been trying to determine what container encryption software to use so
I've seen a few posts by you (I believe) where you have used the
"tinyurl/smallurl. Use 'em and love 'em " tag. I think the premise behind
TinyUrl is ok, but how 'bout those reading this post a while from now
if/when Tiny stops providing the service or the Tiny url given is removed
from their server/database? Then you just have a dead link, no? You might
have a dead link even with the original hyperlink, but I would rather go
with losing the original link than having the original link still available
but not accessible because the Tiny Url is no longer valid. Am I missing
something here? (Not meant to be smartass, just wondering if my concern is
valid).

Anyway, do you have the same high regard for Safeboot Vdisk? I have been
using Scramdisk free on Win98, but it won't work on XP from what I
understand. I'm about to switch my OS out and needed something that would
work going forward.

I've seen some of the discussions in the Scramdisk newsgroup, and DriveCrypt
gets sniped pretty badly (I think a lot is based on no open source and
because the owner seems to have a "hacker" past?). BestCrypt seems a good
alternative, but high priced (is it's source code available?). So, is Vdisk
actually a stable product and is it source code available for review?

I downloaded the latest PGP ckt build, but I haven't installed it because it
seems to have a lot of things I may not use, plus I don't want to hassle
with the key registration (it is a hassle, is it not?). And, if I could be
convinced to use the PGPDisk, should I go with the PGP corporations version
or use the ckt build? Can PGPDisk be used without the email/file encryption
stuff, and is its encryption as strong (the website just said "128 bit or
higher"...what exactly does that mean?).

Thank you.

Vdiskker wrote:
> You might have a dead link even with the original hyperlink, but I would
> rather go with losing the original link than having the original link
> still available but not accessible because the Tiny Url is no longer
> valid. Am I missing something here? (Not meant to be smartass, just
> wondering if my concern is valid).

It's valid. I just don't really care if a link is gone in a year. I post it
to answer a person at this time. Not for someone to check in a decade. I
had a quick google and found a few from a year back and they're still
working so it's not like they die in a week. Of course, you're free to not
use it. I ain't forcing noone. Just offering it as info for those who are
unaware of it and have a problem with long links wrapping. I find it very
convenient.

> Anyway, do you have the same high regard for Safeboot Vdisk? I have been

Never used it I'm afraid. It's container encryption, yeah? I use PGP Disk
for that. Quite happy with it. Safeboot Solo is complete harddrive
encryption so they're not comparable.

> I've seen some of the discussions in the Scramdisk newsgroup, and
> DriveCrypt gets sniped pretty badly (I think a lot is based on no open
> source and because the owner seems to have a "hacker" past?).

Personally I have no exprience with their container encryption products.
They might be very good, but people seem to be having issues with their
recently introduced licensing system. As far as DC Plus Pack (complete
harddrive encryption like SBS) I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It costs
3 times as much as SBS and will happily render your system unbootable if
you have a crash or powerfailure while it's encrypting. Those two items
combined makes it a very poor purchase in my opinion.

It doesn't seem complete harddrive encryption is what you're after though,
so I'm really ill equipped to offer much since the only product I have
experience with is PGP Disk. But I'm sure others will answer you shortly

> I downloaded the latest PGP ckt build, but I haven't installed it because
> it seems to have a lot of things I may not use, plus I don't want to
> hassle with the key registration (it is a hassle, is it not?).

Dunno if that's an issue at all with ckt builds. As far as I know the
released sourcecode for the older versions don't have any licensing code in
it. But I bought 8.0 and I didn't find it a hassle at all. Put in my name,
my key, hit a button, waited 5 sec and all done. There's also a text file
one can keep around if needing to reinstall or something. Have a google for
pgpprefs.txt if curious. It was covered here not long ago.

> could be convinced to use the PGPDisk, should I go with the PGP

Have a look at your needs. Base your decision on that. PGP Personal isn't
very expensive at $50 I think, but if cost is a big issue then others may
be cheaper or even free for all I know. If it's complete harddrive
encryption you need, I can't see anything beating SBS at the moment.

> corporations version or use the ckt build?

I don't think ctk builds have PGP Disk..?

> Can PGPDisk be used without the email/file encryption stuff,

If you don't want to encrypt email nor files, what do you need it for...?
If you're asking if you can install and forget about email protection and
just use it for container encryption, the answer is yes. Just skip
installing any email plugins. Even if you install them you can just decide
to not use. You can also protect your container files or single files via
passphrase only and thus not have to contend with the keys issue.

> and is its encryption as strong (the
> website just said "128 bit or higher"...what exactly does that mean?).

Beats me. I'm not well versed in all the different options you have. I just
know I use 256bit twofish for my container encryption and have a 4096bit
key for my email protection.

- --
Frode

nemo outis

In article <PF_La.4$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Vdiskker" <***@*.net> wrote:

With respect to good container/partition OTFE encryptors, there
are a whack of them. Only a few are open-source (no full HD
OTFE encryptor is, to my knowledge).

I used to use Scramdisk (the traveller mode feature was nice - I
was never blown away by .wav steganography, though) & tried E4M -
neither is supported any longer but they are still out there. I
currently use Bestcrypt (although it is pricey - arguably too
pricey) - it's just a good (but otherwise ordinary) OTFE
encryptor with one extra feature that appeals to me (nesting -
although it is not very well implemented. Rubberhose for linux
is far better in that regard).

Vdisk is probably worth trying, not because of any special
features, but because its cousin SS is so stable and bug-free
(not to mention cheap). It seems that the organization behind SS
and Vdisk is well-funded and professional and that shows in code
stability. On the downside I would source my HD and container
encryptors from different manufacturers lest one of them have
been compromised by, say, the NSA or some other TLA. I'm a
paranoid

Regards,

Vdiskker

I have been leaning towards Vdisk for the reasons you stated, but I wasn't
sure if my take on "well-funded and professional" was true or just based on
a lack of critique on the web, or whether it was valid to correlate the
stability of Solo with that of Vdisk. Seems little is said of Vdisk, which
could be good or bad. There is a lot said of DriveCrypt, and unfortunately
for them, too much is negative for my taste. BestCrypt looks good, but I
can't see, as you suggested, why it is so much more expensive than others.

Thank you.

news:fG0Ma.353535$(E-Mail Removed) a...

<***@*.net> wrote:

> Vdisk is probably worth trying, not because of any special
> features, but because its cousin SS is so stable and bug-free
> (not to mention cheap). It seems that the organization behind SS
> and Vdisk is well-funded and professional and that shows in code
> stability. On the downside I would source my HD and container
> encryptors from different manufacturers lest one of them have
> been compromised by, say, the NSA or some other TLA. I'm a
> paranoid
>
> Regards,

John Veldhuis

NewsGroup User wrote:
> Take a look at Gartners report on data protection, Safeboot & Pointsec seem
> to be the 2 best products in this field. Pointsec seems to have a small
> advantage in the latest one, in the previous it was best by far.

A lot of people comparing SafeGuard Easy, SafeBoot Enterprise and
Pointsec still choose or have chosen SafeGuard Easy, a year ago the
installed base of SafeGuard Easy was well over a million.

> I would go with testing those two.

I would suggest writing down what features you need, read specifications
of all products, and test the ones where features and specifications are
overlapping.

> SafeGuard Eazy? Latest I heard was that they will be out of business soon.

I think you heard wrong. see http://www.utimaco.com

I work for Utimaco, and have used SafeGuard Easy for over 10 years. Happily.

Groetjes
John

Simon Hunt

One more comment like that Nemo and I'm doubling the prices

VDisk 2 will be on the web site in a couple of days. Slimmer, faster etc.

Simon.

news:us6Ma.356462$(E-Mail Removed) a...