Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Symantec Antivirus8 and corrupted profiles

Symantec Antivirus8 and corrupted profiles

Scott Millington

Greetings!

I have been lurking here a while and was going to keep lurking but
something is happening that forces me out of hiding (I hope this is
the right group since the most applicable groups I have access to are
dead).

SAV8 (Formerly known as NortonAntivirus) has a facility called Live
Update. There were apparently corrupted virus definition files dated
earlier than "2003-06-20 rev 4" (the corrupted file was published
after the 18th) cause the Symantec Antivirus Client to stop
functioning but it does not give any warnings except a discreet
exclamation point in the task bar.
*
Oddly enough there isn't anything about this on symantec.com but all
clients (Globally) and about 75% of servers were compromised requiring
peak time reparation (and the trend is growing if the NOC's are to be
believed).
*
Of course my advice is that *everyone* who uses SAV8 (Formerly known
as NortonAntivirus) should immediately verify they are properly
protected.

Scott Millington ((E-Mail Removed))
http://www.haapis.net
***
I want to do something more relaxing -- like dismantle live nuclear
weapons. - White House press secretary Ari Fleischer

Nelson Tam

YES!! It happened on my company's computer last Saturday.!

When I installed the NAV8 Corporate Edition on one of the PCs, the NAV stops
running. I tried to scan the computer, but it quited. I thought that was a
viurs or something. Later, maybe 10 minutes or so, NAV came back normal!
(and it's normal now, I just checked.)

I thought that this block-out period is normal while updating virus
definition. But now Scott noticed the same symptom, I think Norton should
give us a reason.

Anyone with the same experience? Let's share!